Birthdate: November 2, 1908
Birth Place: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Death Date: December 11, 2004
Year Inducted: 1974
"His pioneer flights over unmapped mountains, and his dedication to purpose during the 1937 aerial search for six Russian fliers, despite adversity, have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974
Robert Cheetham (Bob) Randall was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, on November 2, 1908, where he was educated. He learned to fly with the Saskatoon Aero Club in 1928, and the following year obtained licences in both the Private and Commercial Pilot categories. He was hired by Cherry Red Airlines operating out of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, to the Lac La Ronge area. He worked for Bilby Air Service at Saskatoon. Duncan Motors at Regina acquired his services a year later for barnstorming activities in the Saskatoon area.
In 1931 he joined Brooks Airways at Prince Albert as a bush pilot, and in 1932 was given leave to complete a Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) instrument flight course where he distinguished himself by receiving top honours. A flying assignment in 1934 to the Yukon Territory resulted in employment with Northern Airways, based at Carcross, on Lake Bennett. Here, Randall pioneered the mail run between Atlin and Telegraph Creek.
The National Geographic Society hired him in 1935 to make photographic and supply flights over the unmapped territory of the St. Elias range for their Yukon Expedition led by explorer Bradford Washburn. Mountain peaks in this range, which straddles the Yukon-Alaska border, average 12,000 feet (3,657 m), topped by Mount St. Elias at 18,000 feet (5,486 m) and Mount Logan, Canada's highest mountain at 19,850 feet (6,050 m). He completed these high altitude flights in a Fairchild 71 with no supplemental oxygen supply. He made the first landing of an aircraft on a Canadian glacier. In recognition of his valuable assistance, he was named a member of the National Geographic Society that year.
In 1937 Randall began to fly for Mackenzie Air Service, operated out of Edmonton, Alberta, by Leigh Brintnell. He was assigned to fly a route that took him through the mining areas of Goldpines, Saskatchewan, and Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, to the Eldorado radium mine on Great Bear Lake, and down the Mackenzie River to the Arctic coast.
During the late summer and fall of 1937 he was involved in what was to become one of aviation's longest aerial searches, covering the western Arctic from Siberia through Alaska and the Northwest Territories. The Russian pilot, Sigismund Levanevsky and his five companions, missing on a trans-polar flight from Moscow, U.S.S.R., to Fairbanks, Alaska, were never found. During the months-long search Randall covered thousands of flight miles, contributing immeasurably to Canada's knowledge of the Arctic coast. He gained the distinction of being second only to Charles Lindberg in making the dangerous flight between Aklavik in the Northwest Territories, and Point Barrow, Alaska. For his contribution to the search, he was named a Member of the Explorers Club.
In 1940 he was promoted to Operations Manager of Mackenzie Air Service and continued in that capacity when the company was merged with Canadian Airways to form United Air Services. Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) absorbed this company in 1942 and Randall was loaned to Bechtel, Price & Callahan, an American contracting firm engaged in building the Canol pipeline from Norman Wells, Northwest Territories, to Whitehorse, Yukon. He was responsible for organizing and managing the flying operations until the job was completed one year later.
He returned to CPA, and for the next ten years, he flew as captain on domestic routes out of Edmonton, Alberta. In 1952 he was transferred to Vancouver, British Columbia, to fly overseas routes. In 1955 he captained the first scheduled airline flight over the north polar route, from Amsterdam, Holland, direct to Vancouver. In 1968 CPA officially changed its name to CP Air. Randall retired in 1968, after forty years of professional flying. He had flown in excess of 30,000 hours as Captain-in-Command of 44 types of aircraft, ranging from the smallest trainer to the largest jet, representing more than 10,000,000 miles (16,100,000 km) of flight distance.
Bob Randall died at Vancouver, B.C. on December 11, 2004 at age 96.
Robert Cheetham (Bob) Randall was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: October 27, 1907
Birth Place: Fort William, Ontario
Death Date: July 4, 1996
Year Inducted: 1974
Awards: The McKee Trophy
"The application of his aeronautical talents towards designing the Great Lakes Airway and his airborne work to improve runway lighting systems, have substantially benefited Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974
Bernard Anderson (Barney) Rawson was born in Fort William, Ontario, on October 27, 1907, and educated in that province at Coldwater and Toronto. He graduated with a Commercial Pilot's Licence from the Dungan School of Aviation at Cleveland, Ohio in 1928. Until 1934 he was employed as Chief Pilot for three American companies. For two years he flew open-cockpit biplanes for the U.S. Weather Bureau taking daily upper air readings at 18,000 feet (5,486 m). These flights were the beginning of mass air analysis, permitting present-day long-range weather forecasting.
Rawson was employed as a pilot with American Airlines on continental routes until 1938, when he joined Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) as a line captain. He was appointed flight instructor, and in 1940 he was named an officer of the company in charge of eastern operations. In 1942 he was named Director of Operations for TCA's entire system, which included Canada, the United States, the Caribbean, South America, the North Atlantic and Europe. In this position he was responsible for the selection and training of air crew, flight dispatchers and the development of flight technical manuals. In 1946 he was named Director of Flight Development, a position he held until 1953.
During this period, he convinced the Department of Transport (DOT) that a straight line airway between Toronto and Winnipeg over the Great Lakes was feasible and practical. The airway would allow Sault Ste. Marie and the Canadian lakehead to become part of TCA's network and save substantial operating costs. During the one year construction period of the Great Lakes Airway, he was involved with and assisted the DOT in the selection of airports and navigational aid positions. Rawson was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy for 1947 for meritorious service in the advancement of aviation in Canada. In 1949 Rawson moved to Montreal with TCA when they moved their main offices from Winnipeg.
In April 1953, Rawson joined Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) in Vancouver as Director of Flight Operations, and under his supervision the company expanded to serve five continents. He implemented the dream of Grant McConachie to link Vancouver, British Columbia, with Amsterdam, Holland, by non-stop flights across the Arctic region. To provide crews with modern training facilities, he outfitted CPA with electronic flight simulators, selected and trained personnel and evaluated new aircraft and operational equipment.
During his years of service with TCA and CPA, he served as technical representative for the Government of Canada at International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) conferences, and as a delegate to the International Air Transport Association (IATA). As a technical representative to IATA, he served as Chairman of the Lighting Committee which was organized to develop standards of lighting for approach and landing during poor visibility. A group of airline pilot representatives made zero-zero weather approaches at Arcata, California, to test lighting configurations that were selected and installed for testing purposes.
Rawson joined Radio Corporation of America (RCA) in December 1958, as Director of Custom Aviation Products in Camden, New Jersey. In 1960 he was named their Government Service Division Administrator. In this capacity he dealt with the U.S. Weather Bureau, Coast and Geodetic Survey, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. As a Director of Airline Marketing for Fairchild Hiller Corporation from 1962 until 1968, he conducted marketing research for regional air line type aircraft for acceptable design parameters. The sales success of de Havilland Aircraft of Canada's Twin Otter in the U.S. was due in part to his excellent marketing strategies as an executive of the Miami Aviation Corporation, their American distributors. In 1973 he was named Aviation Director of Flood and Associates, consulting engineers at Jacksonville, Florida.
During a 45 year career as a professional pilot, he captained more than 100 aircraft types, logging more than 20,000 hours. Rawson died in Alabama on July 4, 1996.
Bernard Anderson (Barney) Rawson was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held at Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: August 22, 1895
Birth Place: Ballyroney, County Down, Northern Ireland
Death Date: April 8, 1954
Year Inducted: 1974
Awards: D.F.M., The McKee Trophy*
"His mapping of this nation's northern frontier during pioneer air expeditions, and the dedication of his skills to seeking lost airmen, have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974
Thomas Mayne (Pat) Reid, D.F.M., was born in Ballyroney, County Down, Northern Ireland, on August 22, 1895, where he was educated. As a youth he served a term as mechanic's apprentice with the Ferguson Automotive Company at Belfast. In 1915 he enlisted in the Royal Naval Air Service in England as an air engineer. He was posted to Dunkirk, France, in 1917, as a crew member on twin-engine flying boats with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) on anti-submarine duties. On one sortie he repaired their damaged flying boat after a forced landing in the North Sea caused by gunfire from a surfaced German submarine. They took off again in the repaired aircraft and returned to sink that submarine. In 1918 Reid was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal (D.F.M.) for heroism under fire.
In 1919 Reid was employed by the Handley-Page Transport Company in various capacities and in 1924 became Manager of their operations in Switzerland. Later that year he immigrated to Canada and joined the Ontario Provincial Air Service as an air observer based in Sudbury, Ontario. After two years on forestry patrol duties, he attended the Ontario Air Service school of instruction, followed by a course at Camp Borden, Ontario. He graduated in 1926 with a Commercial Pilot's Licence.
After another year with the OPAS, flying de Havilland Moths and Curtiss HS-2L flying boats from northwestern Ontario bases, Reid was hired by H.A. 'Doc' Oaks, to carry out remote explorations for the Northern Aerial Mineral Exploration (N.A.M.E.) Company. In the spring of 1928, in company with two other pilots, including Matt Berry, in separate aircraft, he flew a prospecting party from Winnipeg, Manitoba, north through Fort Churchill, to Baker Lake, where they left the prospectors. He continued his exploration flight to Coppermine on the Arctic Ocean, then followed the Mackenzie River to Edmonton, Alberta. The expedition ended in Winnipeg six months after it began, and crossed 25,000 miles (40,232 km) of wilderness, without the benefit of navigational aids or weather services. They provided early Canadian map makers with some of their earliest knowledge of the uncharted northland.
One of the numerous mercy flights he undertook was with Oaks in January 1929, when they flew 1,600 miles (2,575 km) along the eastern sub-Arctic coast of Hudson Bay through inclement weather to locate a party of 13 stranded prospectors and return them to their base. In the fall of 1929 Reid played a leading role in the search for the MacAlpine party which was missing in the Arctic. One of his responsibilities was to fly material and supplies for the use of the large search party.
Reid joined a search mission as Chief Pilot during the winter of 1929-30 to locate the famed American pilot Carl Eielson, lost with a companion in an aircraft off the coast of Siberia, where he was flying relief supplies to a stranded schooner. The Aviation Corporation of Delaware hired Reid to lead a three plane expedition from a base of operations at Fairbanks, Alaska. Enroute from there to Nome, he himself was forced down in a blizzard in a mountain pass and severely damaged a wing. He and his air mechanic waited out the storm for a week, repaired the aircraft and proceeded to their destination. From Nome he made a number of flights across the Bering Strait and along the coast of the Chukchi Sea. Some 450 miles (724 km) from base, and 200 miles (322 km) north of the Arctic Circle, he located the wrecked aircraft and subsequently flew the bodies of the two airmen back to Alaska.
In 1931 Reid became Western Aviation Manager of Imperial Oil Limited and that summer he flew the Company's Puss Moth, CF-IOL, as leader of the Trans-Canada Air Pageant. The tour was a two-way transcontinental flight, visiting every city in Canada where landing was practical. It was a showcase for the fledgling Canadian aviation industry and displayed the latest in civil and military aircraft. The following year he was named Aviation Representative of Imperial Oil, with headquarters in Toronto, Ontario.
Reid was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy for 1942 for his efforts in the advancement of flying in Canada, and his logistical organization of aviation fuel supplies for the war effort needs of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) and Ferry Command. The McKee Trophy was awarded to him again in 1943, and he became the first person to receive this honour twice. Reid and his wife were killed in the TCA crash at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, on April 8,1954.
Thomas Mayne (Pat) Reid was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: March 1, 1921
Birth Place: Edmonton, Alberta
Death Date: September 2, 2003
Year Inducted: 1974
"His application of outstanding skills and dedicated perseverance, in those demanding areas of flight that he chose to conquer, despite adversity, have resulted in outstanding benefit to Canada." - Induction citation, 1974
John Hardisty (Jack) Reilly was born in Edmonton, Alberta, on March 1, 1921, and was educated there. He became an 'airport kid' who ran errands and refuelled aircraft for many of the airmen who have since been named to Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame.
Reilly began flying in Edmonton in 1938, then joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in June 1940, and completed his flying training at No. 6 Service Flying Training School (SFTS) Dunnville, Ontario. He completed the flying instructor's course, and served as a flying instructor and flight commander at No. 9 SFTS Summerside, Prince Edward Island, and Centralia, Ontario. In September 1943, he was posted back to Summerside for the General Reconnaissance Course where he received his Navigator's Certificate. He was assigned pilot duties on Canso and Catalina flying boats on operational patrols on Canada's west coast and Alaska. Prior to being posted overseas, he carried out instructional duties at No. 3 Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Patricia Bay, British Columbia. Until the end of World War II, he captained Coastal Command Sunderland flying boats on anti-submarine patrols from bases in northern Scotland and Ireland.
His exceptional flying abilities led to a posting with No. 426 RCAF Transport Squadron at Bedfordshire, England as captain of a modified B-24 Liberator Bomber on VIP flights to India. Before retiring from the service as a Flight Lieutenant in 1946, he had completed the most advanced military flight instructor's course available, the senior administration course, and earned the most senior military pilot's licence.
Until 1949 he was associated with Leavens Brothers Air Service at Toronto, Ontario, as Chief Pilot of the largest flying school in Canada at that time, and as Chief Pilot and administrator of their provincial forest spraying contract.
In 1949 he joined Kenting Aviation of Toronto, which recognized his broad vision of aerial management. They accepted his ideas for high altitude photographic surveys using World War II aircraft and operating at stratospheric heights. He was named Chief Pilot in 1951, and personally flew these demanding flights, using modified Mosquito fighters, a Sea Hornet and Boeing B-17's. His duties carried him to many countries and he was required to remain qualified on several types of heavy twin and four-engine aircraft at the same time.
In 1956 he joined Canadian Aircraft Renters Ltd. at Toronto and their subsidiary, Southern Provincial Airlines, as Superintendent of Operations over their Toronto, New York, Washington, D.C., and Chicago charter routes, as well as their services in the Arctic.
Reilly was hired in 1959 as Chief Pilot for Peter Bawden Drilling of Calgary, Alberta. He was widely recognized for his extensive knowledge of aircraft operations over unmapped and inhospitable terrain under punishing weather conditions, and for extended periods of time. He was joined by his wife, 'Molly' Reilly as co-captain of a Douglas DC-3. They flew to most of the major oil fields in western and northern Canada, and throughout the United States. During his 14 years of service, he and his pilots flew 1,800,000 accident free miles from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada's northernmost islands. Aircraft under his control blazed new frontiers in the north, often without benefit of radio communication or navigational aids and during extended periods of darkness.
From 1973 to 1981, Reilly was engaged in various corporate aviation operations. In 1981 he joined Transport Canada as a Civil Aviation Inspector, and for assistance he provided to No. 431 Air Demonstration Squadron he was made an Honorary Snowbird. He flew more than 30,000 hours as captain-in-command of 70 different types of aircraft, without a fatality in any operation under his command. After retiring in 1989, he devoted himself to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta, which is the home of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame. He died at Wetaskiwin, Alberta on September 2, 2003. On August 4, 2004 the Snowbirds No. 431 Demonstration Squadron performed an aerobatic show at Wetaskiwin, Alberta dedicated in tribute to Honorary Snowbird Jack Reilly.
John Hardisty (Jack) Reilly was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: February 25, 1922
Birth Place: Lindsay, Ontario
Death Date: November 24, 1980
Year Inducted: 1974
"Her dedication to flight, her self set demands for perfection, the outstanding abilities she has developed despite adversity, have made her a guiding light in aviation circles for other women to follow and have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974
Moretta Fenton Beall (Molly) Reilly was born in Lindsay, Ontario, on February 25, 1922 and educated there. She joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, Women's Division, in 1942 as a photographer and served in Canada as a Non-commissioned Officer until 1946.
She undertook flying instruction in Toronto, Ontario in 1944, and graduated with her Commercial Licence two years later. She used her military re-establishment credit to gain an instructor's rating in 1948. During her training she won the runner-up award in the national Webster Trophy competition against a formidable field of male pilots. Leavens Brothers Air Services in Toronto hired her as an instructor and charter pilot in 1948, then granted her leave to complete an advanced instrument flying course at Spartan School of Aeronautics at Tulsa, Oklahoma, U.S.A. After graduation she qualified for her Canadian Public Transport Pilot Licence.
Within three years Reilly had earned her twin-engine aircraft rating, completed a float-plane flying course at Port Alberni Airways School in BC, then went to England to earn a British Commercial Pilot's Licence. In 1954 she became Chief Flying Instructor and charter pilot with Canadian Aircraft Renters at Toronto. During the next three years she upgraded her skills to earn a Class 1 Instrument Rating and Airline Transport Pilot Licence. She is believed to be the first woman in Canada to hold these qualifications. She won a promotion to Captain against professional male competition in the Company's subsidiary, Southern Provincial Airlines, and became qualified to fly Douglas DC-3's, Lockheed Lodestars and twin Beech aircraft. She then assisted in the development and operation of their highly regarded air ambulance service throughout Eastern Canada.
In 1959 she was hired by Peter Bawden Drilling Services of Calgary, Alberta. Here she joined her husband, 'Jack' Reilly, as co-captain of a Douglas DC-3 flying to most of the major oil fields in western and northern Canada, and throughout the United States. She remained in this position for five years. During this period of intense air activity in the Arctic regions, she piloted company aircraft on runs to Frobisher Bay (Iqaluit) and Resolute Bay and other northern centres, through extended periods of darkness and extreme weather conditions, often without radio communication or navigational aides.
In 1965 Reilly joined Canadian Coachways of Edmonton, Alberta, and when Canadian Utilities absorbed that company several years later, she was named Chief Pilot. She was now qualified to fly a Beechcraft Duke, a sophisticated, pressurized, radar-equipped, all-weather twin-engine aircraft throughout North America. She had modifications made as necessary to improve the Duke for use in the Arctic, and received a personal commendation from Beechcraft Chairman, Mrs. Olive A. Beech.
'Molly' Reilly completed over 10,000 hours as pilot-in-command, all accident free. She died in Edmonton on November 24, 1980.
Moretta Fenton Beall 'Molly' Reilly was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
“No Place for a Lady - The story of Canadian Women Pilots” - Shirley Render (1992)
Birthdate: May 16, 1923
Birth Place: Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Death Date: February 9, 2012
Year Inducted: 2009
Awards: A.O.E., C.M.
"His great success as a collector of vintage vehicles, machines and aircraft has resulted in his donating much of his collection to the province of Alberta and Reynolds-Alberta Museum, including the largest donation of vintage aircraft by an individual in Canadian history. The impact of his philanthropy is limitless and will benefit Canadians and their knowledge of aviation history for generations to come." - Induction citation, 2009
Stan Reynolds, CM, was born in Wetaskiwin, Alberta on May 18th, 1923. His father, Ted Reynolds, "was a pilot "who had built a monoplane in the early 1920's. While in high school he worked at his father's garage after school, learning about cars and machinery. He also learned about airplanes and collecting, and these would become his life-long passions.
His fascination with airplanes prompted him to join the RCAF in 1942. He trained as a pilot and was posted to No. 410 'Night Fighter' Squadron flying Beaufighters and Mosquitos. After the war he returned to Wetaskiwin and built a three-car garage with his savings. He started his first business venture selling used cars which he repaired and painted himself, and he studied for his auto mechanic and welder's licences in 1946. He was 23 years old.
His used-car business grew rapidly - his motto was 'Stan Takes Anything in Trade' - and from 1948 to 1956 he was Alberta's top auto dealer, operating 13 lots. Wetaskiwin became known as a major automotive sales centre. He expanded his operations to include sales of new and used cars, trucks, farm machinery, industrial equipment, house trailers and airplanes. In 1953 he opened a new, spacious auto sales building on Highway 2 on the west side of the city, which is now known as 'The Auto Mile'. In 1954 he offered the first lifetime warranty on cars in Canada.
Reynolds was a perfectionist - everything he did turned out exceptionally well. As his business grew, he was able to pursue his interest in antique cars. His first, a 1911 Overland Touring car, was acquired as a trade-in which he decided to restore and keep. He saw that Alberta was losing an important part of its heritage when people discarded their old items in favour of new. In 1948 he began collecting, preserving and restoring antique cars in earnest, and in 1954 he expanded these interests to collecting antique tractors, steam engines, machinery and aircraft. Most of these appeared to be nothing more than junk, but he saw the possibility of restoring their beauty.
He never lost his passion for flying. In 1950 he received his pilot's licence with float and night endorsements and bought a Cessna 170. Needing a proper airstrip, he built the Wetaskiwin Airport in 1952 on his land west of his auto sales building. At the official opening he flew his 1940 Tiger Moth, putting on a display of aerobatics for the crowd of 7000. He kept the airstrip licenced and maintained until he transferred ownership to the City and County of Wetaskiwin in 1970.
Reynolds' interests were wide-ranging and his enthusiasm for exploring new ventures knew no bounds. In 1953 he incorporated Air Spray Ltd. for application of fertilizers and pesticides using two Stearman biplanes. That same year he formed Central Aviation Ltd. which ran a flying school and a training program for air cadets.
He was an avid sportsman. He enjoyed car racing, and in 1947 he won the Canadian Model T Ford racing championship in Calgary in a 1916 Ford that he had rebuilt. Whenever he could spare the time. he would fly into remote areas to hunt and fish.
He was keenly interested in Indian artifacts, which he began to collect in his early teens around his parent's farm, picking up arrow heads and other items. In 1965 he took an archaeological course with the University of Alberta and participated in the excavations at Peace Hills, just north of Wetaskiwin. He flew his airplane over the site and took photographs, then provided a bulldozer to restore the ground after the dig ended.
In the early 1950's Reynolds was known across North America for his extensive collecting activities through his advertisements. He used his airplanes to fly over areas where old, unused items were abandoned. When he found an interesting item, he would land and make an offer to the owner. On one of these forays he located a derelict 1942 Hawker Hurricane which he acquired and restored to airworthy condition. This rare multi-million dollar aircraft, now on display, conveys an important story about Canadian military history.
By 1955 he had built his own museum, the Reynolds Museum, to share with the public some of the extraordinary items he had collected. In just a few years, he had amassed almost unimaginable numbers: 2,000 cars, 1,100 tractors, 500 trucks, 200 steam engines, 300 threshing machines, 800 stationary engines, and 125 aircraft, as well as military artifacts, Indian artifacts and toys.
He kept meticulous records of his collection, detailing everything he knew about each item. He knew that his collection represented an important part of Alberta's social history as well as the technological progression of the machines that helped develop this province. Many of these articles would not exist today if he had not collected and preserved them.
In the early 1970's, Reynolds envisioned an even greater museum to be built in Wetaskiwin. In 1974 he offered his collection to the Province of Alberta and in 1981 he made his first substantial donation. Experts selected over 850 important artifacts which would become the foundation for a new facility to be built and operated by the Government of Alberta. Plans called for several theme areas: Transportation, Agriculture and Industry.
Reynolds said that his interest in collecting was not for investment but to ensure that future generations would have the opportunity to understand and appreciate how the development of our country, and Alberta in particular, was impacted by early machines. His donations ensured that these rare artifacts and the amazing stories they represent will be maintained for years to come.
The new museum opened in 1992, and was named the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in honour of the Reynolds family. Reynolds has given additional gifts over the years, such as his extensive library of original early catalogues, manuals, books, magazines, etc., and in 1999, made one of his most significant donations: 66 historic aircraft. This was the single largest private donation of vintage aircraft to a public institution in Canadian history. He continued to add to this collection which now totals 88 aircraft, second in size only to the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa.
Reynolds' acts of generosity go far beyond his donations to the province of Alberta. When Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame was moved from Edmonton to the new Reynolds-Alberta Museum in 1992, he supplied the trucks and staff needed for the move. He loaned several of his personal vintage aircraft to supplement the exhibits in the new Aviation Hangar. He absorbed the cost of restoring many machines for Reynolds-Alberta Museum, and supplied parts free of charge to them to assist them in the restoration of their artifacts.
Reynolds has served his community in many ways. He was an Alderman for the City of Wetaskiwin from 1952 to I960. He loaned planes and other artifacts to the Wetaskiwin High School. He loaned artifacts and antique cars for display during many events, and donated cars and other items to charitable organizations to be sold by them for their charitable purposes.
Reynolds was recognized for his many accomplishments and contributions to the citizens of Alberta and Canada. This is a partial listing:
1981 - Heritage Canada Foundation Community Services Award for preservation
1986 - Citizen of the Year Award from the Wetaskiwin Chamber of Commerce
1991 - Alberta Historical Foundation Award of Honour for Heritage Preservation
1992 - Government of Canada Lescarbot Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to regional cultural activities
1995 - Alberta Museums Association Contribution Award
1999 - Member of the Alberta Order of Excellence
2000 - Member of the Order of Canada, recognizing his lifetime achievements in heritage
Reynolds maintained his affiliation with many organizations, including the RCAF, the Legion, Chamber of Commerce, Alberta Museums Association, Antique Airplane Association, Guinea Pig Club, Historical Society of Alberta, Quarter Century Club. He continued to participate actively on the Reynolds-Alberta Museum's Advisory Board and in building and developing its collections. He went to work every day. He said he had too much to do and didn't think he would ever retire. He died at Wetaskiwin, Alberta in 2012.
Stanley George Reynolds was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame at ceremonies held in Wetaskiwin on May 30, 2009.
Birthdate: August 25, 1885
Birth Place: Kingston, Ontario
Death Date: June 26, 1939
Year Inducted: 1976
Awards: LL.D. (Hon)
"In the annals of this nation's flying history, no businessman gave more of himself for less reward to the everlasting benefit of Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1976
James Armstrong Richardson, B.A., LL.D. (Hon), was born in Kingston, Ontario, on August 25, 1885, where he attended Hillcrest Academy and Queen's University, graduating in 1906 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He then entered the family business of James A. Richardson & Sons Limited, based in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He gave personal direction to the company's affairs during its greatest era of expansion in Canada's grain industry and its entry into the field of investment securities. He served as company President from 1918 until 1939.
Richardson's initial interest in aviation was inspired by a desire to develop the mineral wealth of northern Ontario. To accomplish this, he formed Western Canada Airways Limited in 1926, contending that with suitable aircraft, able pilots and good business management, an air transport company could bring in untapped mineral resources at least twenty years sooner than would ordinarily have been the case. H.A. 'Doc' Oaks became the first manager and pilot for the new company at its base in Hudson, Ontario.
The following year. Western Canada Airways expedited the opening of a port at Fort Churchill, Manitoba, when it carried out the Churchill airlift during March 1927. Using two open-cockpit aircraft, without radio communications or weather sciences, fourteen men and thirty tons of supplies and equipment were transported from Cache Lake, Manitoba, to Fort Churchill during a thirty day period, under severe winter conditions. The successful completion of this country's first major airlift was to bring a rare signal to Western Canada Airways from the Department of National Defence at Ottawa, "...there has been no more brilliant operation in the history of commercial flying."
Western Canada Airways, under Richardson's Presidency, had in a few years, opened air routes from the mines of northern Ontario to the islands off the Pacific coast and to the shores of the Arctic Ocean. The records and accomplishments of the company in the transport of bulk freight, airmail service and night flying were so laudable as to attract the attention of other nations. In 1926 Richardson had been named Director of Fairchild Aerial Surveys and the following year, Director of Canadian Vickers Ltd. In 1928 he began supporting the newly formed Aerial League of Canada, designed to foster the development of aviation.
To further investigate the Canadian Shield's mineral potential, Richardson became a director and majority shareholder of Northern Aerial Mineral Explorations Limited (N.A.M.E.). In 1929 he became a Director of the Aviation Corporation of Delaware, U.S.A., a corporation which in turn controlled a number of other aircraft companies.
While Western Canada Airways was successfully establishing the long prairie link of a future trans-Canada airline, a number of eastern companies were experiencing financial and management difficulties, leading to less than satisfactory performance in mail delivery. Since a distinct threat existed that control of some of their business ventures might fall into the hands Of American companies, Richardson helped to develop the Aviation Corporation of Canada. This step was then carried to its logical conclusion by forming one single operating company by the merger of Western Canada Airways with a group of smaller air operators across Canada. His goal was to provide coast-to-coast air transportation and mail delivery under Canadian control.
The new company, Canadian Airways Limited, came into operation in 1930, with Richardson appointed President. During the period of rapid change of the 1930's and the Depression that affected the entire country, Richardson's company kept civil aviation alive in Canada. There had been discussions in Ottawa for several years about the formation of an air service which would connect Canada from east to west, and Richardson believed that his airline would be involved in providing this service.
In 1936 the Department of Transport was formed, with its first Minister, C.D. Howe in control. Howe formed Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) in 1937, assuring a monopoly for TCA in flying passengers and mail across Canada. His plans did not include Richardson's company and its established air routes.
In the early 1940's, Canadian Pacific Railways acquired Canadian Airways Limited, along with several small air operations, and began to operate Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) in 1942. In 1957 the prairie service of CPA was taken over by Pacific Western Airlines, operated by R.F. Baker, which would later purchase CPA and form Canadian Airlines International.
Several pilots and air engineers employed by Canadian Airways would in the future be inducted as Members of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame. Those who served in 1934 as pilots/managers of Canadian Airways bases from Moncton to Vancouver: W.W. Fowler, J.P.R. Vachon, H. Hollick-Kenyon, C.H. Dickins, T.W. Siers, W.R. May and D.R. MacLaren.
Richardson was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Queen's University in 1929. This honour coincided with his appointment as Chancellor of that University, a position he held until his death. He died in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on June 26, 1939, at the age of 53.
In 2007 the Winnipeg International Airport (Stevenson Field) was renamed the “Winnipeg James Richardson International Airport”.
James Armstrong Richardson was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1976 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
“Pioneering in Canadian Air Transport” - Ken. M. Molson (1974)
“Double Cross: The Inside Story of James A. Richardson” - Shirley Render (1999)
Birthdate: January 13, 1919
Birth Place: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year Inducted: 1995
Awards: The C.D. Howe Award, AFAISS, D. Eng.(Hon)
"His longtime leadership and unwavering dedication to the highest standards in engineering, manufacturing and management have made an enduring contribution to the Canadian aerospace industry and its international capabilities." - Induction citation, 1995
Robert Dick Richmond, B.Sc., D. Eng. (Ron.), was born on January 13, 1919, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and moved with his family to Toronto in 1933. He enrolled at the University of Michigan, obtaining a Bachelor degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 1942. While at the University he learned to fly, and soloed in a Piper Cub J-3F airplane. He worked at National Steel Car Co., Malton, Ontario, for two summers on the production of Westland Lysander leading-edge wing slats, and elevators. On graduation he was directed to the mechanical engineering division of the National Research Council working on wind tunnel and flight test projects including development of low drag skills for the Hurricane aircraft.
Richmond joined Fairchild Aircraft Ltd., at Longueuil, Quebec, where he was responsible for the design and development of a target-towing version of the Bristol Bolingbroke, and skis for winter rescue of downed aircraft. He was Chief of Aerodynamics for a utility bush aircraft, the Fairchild Husky, from its inception through certification in 1946.
In early 1947, following closure of Fairchild Aircraft Ltd., Richmond was hired by Canadair Ltd., of Montreal, for a position in a newly-formed Preliminary Design department. In 1948 he became Section Chief of Aerodynamics, where his initial assignment was the development and certification of the Canadair aircraft, a derivative of the North Star aircraft and the Douglas DC-4, powered by Rolls Royce Merlin Engines.
In 1949 Richmond was appointed Chief Development Engineer that included aerodynamics, preliminary design, engineering test functions and related laboratories. A position which included in 1951 performance development of the Canadian-built F-86 Sabre Mk 5 and 6. He also led design studies to define a maritime patrol aircraft for the RCAF. These studies culminated in a contract being awarded in May 1954, for the Argus, a long-range patrol aircraft. In February 1954, Richmond also became responsible for Canadair's entry into missile development.
During that period, Richmond and Canadair Test Pilot Al Lilly tried to interest the RCAF in a small jet trainer to replace the World War II Harvard, but received an official negative response. In early 1954 Richmond drafted preliminary specifications for a trainer which featured side by side seating and the then questionable items of pressurization and ejection seats. He then initiated and led the preliminary design that resulted in the Canadair CL-41, the Tutor jet trainer used by the Royal Canadian Air Force Snowbird Acrobatic Team.
In mid 1957 he was named Chief Engineer of Special Weapons, to manage a unit established for missile development, but the Sparrow missile program was cancelled as a result of the demise of the Avro Arrow. He redirected the division to pursue a new field: surveillance systems. By the time he left Canadair in 1960, development was beginning on what would later become Canadair's successful CL-89 surveillance system.
In April 1960, Richmond joined Canadian Pratt and Whitney Aircraft (later known as Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Canada ([PWAC]) as Vice-President of Operations, and in December, 1963 was appointed to the Board of Directors, then Deputy President. He directed the production of the first 3,500 PT-6 and equivalent engines and guided their marketing program. Simultaneously, the manufacturing capacity was increased to absorb total production for all PWAC piston-engine parts. He also established, in 1963, a division to partially manufacture and assemble the Sea King Helicopter for the Department of National Defence (DND), and supply components to Sikorsky for U.S. production.
In 1970 he joined McDonnell Douglas of Canada as President, and was named a Vice-President of the parent corporation. Here he directed the manufacture of DC-9 and DC-10 wings at Malton.
In 1974 Richmond become President, Chief Operating Officer and a Director of Spar Aerospace. Richmond guided this company in the development and marketing of specialized systems and sub-systems. The most notable program was the Canadarm, for which he established the organization, and oversaw the first five years of its development. He also negotiated with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) for procurement of follow-on units.
Richmond returned to Canadair in January 1981, to become the Executive Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer. He is credited with turning the Challenger business jet into a strong international competitor by directing the completion of certification and delivery of CL-600 and CL-601 aircraft. These have been sold to corporations and governments in over 30 countries. In 1984 he was responsible for initiating and leading the preliminary design and marketing of the derivative of the CL-601 that became Canadair Regional Jet - that aircraft established the regional jet world market.
Following retirement in December 1987, Richmond continued as a senior advisor on the Canadair Regional Jet program during its definition phase.
Richmond is a Fellow, founding Member and Past President of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, and a recipient of their C.D. Howe award for leadership in Aerospace. He is an Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aerospace Sciences, a Member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario, a Past Chairman of the Canadian Delegation to NATO Industrial Advisory Group, and a Past Chairman and Honorary Life Member of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada. He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Engineering from Carleton University in Ottawa in 1998.
Robert Dick Richmond was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1995 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
“A Life in Canadian Aerospace, 1942-1992” - R.D. Richmond (2014)
Birthdate: November 26, 1916
Birth Place: Hamilton, Ontario
Death Date: July 19, 2006
Year Inducted: 1988
Awards: The McKee Trophy, FCASI
"His exceptional abilities as a test and demonstration pilot and his talents in training pilots to STOL technology have been of lasting benefit to the Canadian aviation industry and to the nation of Canada." - Induction citation, 1998
Donald Howard Rogers was born in Hamilton, Ontario, on November 26, 1916, and received his early education in Dundas, Ontario. He earned his Pilot's Licence at the Hamilton Aero Club in 1936, followed by a Commercial Licence in 1938, and an Instructor's Rating in April 1939. He attended the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) instructor course at Camp Borden Military Base, Ontario, in September 1939.
Rogers instructed RCAF Provisional Pilot Officers and civilian students at the Hamilton Aero Club until October 1940. From that date until December 1941, he was Assistant Chief Flying Instructor at No. 10 Elementary Flying Training School (EFTS) at Mt. Hope, Ontario. In 1941 he was transferred to the aircraft division of the National Steel Car Co. plant at Malton Airport, Toronto, Ontario, serving as a test pilot for their Westland Lysanders and Avro Ansons until April 1943.
Rogers obtained a posting with the Royal Air Force Ferry Command (RAFFC) flight test section at Dorval, Quebec, flying Lockheed Hudsons and Venturas, North American B-25 Mitchells and Consolidated B-24 Liberator bombers from May through August 1943. He delivered a Hudson and a B-24 to the United Kingdom (U.K.) and during one trip spent five days at the A.V. Roe test flight centre at Woodford, test flying Lancasters.
He became a test pilot for Victory Aircraft Ltd. at Malton Airport, test flying their Canadian-built Mk 10 Lancasters from September 1943, until the war's end in August of 1945. In December 1945, Avro Canada Ltd. was formed, and took over the Victory Aircraft Ltd. facilities.
In December 1945, he joined the newly formed Avro Canada Ltd. as Chief Test Pilot flying Lockheed Venturas, B-25's, C-47's, and Lancasters following overhaul and modifications for the RCAF, as well as the Hawker Sea Fury for the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN). At this time Avro Canada was planning to build a 30-seat turbine-powered airliner for Trans Canada Airlines. James C. Floyd arrived from Avro (U.K.) to be Chief Technical Officer on the airliner project. The Avro C-102 Jetliner made its first flight on August 10, 1949, at Malton Airport, the first flight of a turbo-jet airliner in North America. Rogers was the co-pilot on this flight, with Avro (U.K.) Chief Pilot Jim Orell, and Bill Baker as Flight Engineer. Rogers was pilot-in-command on April 18, 1950, when the C-102 carried the world's first jet-transported air mail from Toronto to New York.
Rogers did most of the test and demonstration flying of the C-102 Jetliner. In addition to the many local flights in which he tested handling, performance, fuel consumption, and de-icing, numerous demonstration flights were made with senior airline pilots in New York, Miami, Chicago, and Winnipeg, as well as military pilots at the Wright-Patterson Airforce Base at Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. He also spent a period of six months in California flying the Jetliner with Howard Hughes of Trans World Airlines.
Rogers logged a total of 340 hours on the Jetliner. Donald Rogers wrote “The Korean War broke out in 1950 and there was concern that it would escalate into World War III. In spite of Avro Canada having received a letter of intent from National Airlines and a tentative order by the United States Airforce and a strong desire by Howard Hughes to have the Jetliner in service with TWA, the Canadian Government ordered sales efforts and plans for production of the C-102 Jetliner to be terminated and maximum resources to be concentrated on production and delivery of the CF-100 fighter for the RCAF”.
During Rogers' employment with Avro, the Lancaster was being used as a 'flying test bed' for the new jet engine, the Orenda. He was the pilot on the first flight, and further development flights, of the Lancaster which had its two outboard Merlin engines replaced with Orenda engines.
He made the first flight of the Orenda-powered Avro CF 100 Mk 2, and eventually accumulated hundreds of hours test flying all marks of this all-weather interceptor. In 1958 he was appointed Flight Operations manager for the test-flying program of the Avro Arrow.
Following cancellation of the Arrow and the final shut down of Avro Canada, Rogers moved to the flight operations department of de Havilland Aircraft of Canada at Downsview Airport, Toronto, as a test, demonstration, and training pilot on all of their short take-off and landing (STOL) aircraft including the Beaver, Otter, Turbo Beaver, Twin Otter, Caribou, Buffalo, and Dash 7.
In addition to the hundreds of local test flights and training of the customers' pilots in STOL procedures, Rogers carried out many demonstration tours, including flying a Turbo Beaver through Central and South America. He then flew a Caribou to Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay in Alaska, a Buffalo to Brazil and Argentina, a Twin Otter from Morocco through the Middle East and India to Kuala Lampur, and a Twin Otter from England through Scandinavia and return to Downsview via Iceland, Greenland, and Baffin Island. He also demonstrated a water-bomber version of the Twin Otter on floats across Canada.
Delivery flights were also his responsibility. They often involved remaining for a sufficient period of time to train and check out the customer's pilots in the operation of STOL aircraft. Such deliveries included a Caribou to Kawajalen Island in the Pacific, a Buffalo to Togo in Africa, and Twin Otters to Puerta Mont, Chile, as well as to Panama, Switzerland, Iran, and Nepal. Rogers spent six months in Nepal training Royal Nepal Airline pilots, and wrote operational procedures for take-off and landing on their short strips in the Himalayan Mountains.
In 1980, at age 63, Rogers retired from the flight operations department at de Havilland but continued to do part-time flight training and ground school instructing of their customers' pilots for another seven years. He logged more than 12,000 flying hours on 30 aircraft types.
In recognition of his years of testing and demonstrating the Avro Jetliner and many other Canadian designed and built aircraft throughout the world, Rogers was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy for 1983. He was made an Associate Fellow of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute (CASI) in February 1957, and promoted to Fellow in 1998. He died on July 19, 2006 at Toronto, Ontario.
Donald Howard Rogers was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1998 at a ceremony held in Montreal, Quebec.
“The Chosen Ones - Canadian Test Pilots in Action” - Sean Rossiter (2002)
Birthdate: March 17, 1911
Birth Place: Berwick, Nova Scotia
Year Inducted: 1974
"His leadership, dedication to safety of flight operations and wide-ranging contributions to Canadian and international aviation have left an indelible mark on the airline industry and have been of significant benefit to Canada." - Induction citation, 1974
Lindsay (Lindy) Rood was born on March 17, 1911, in Berwick, Nova Scotia, and was educated there and at Dalhousie University in Halifax. He enrolled in an extension course with the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and began his long and eventful career in aviation. After earning his wings and a commission as a Pilot Officer in the RCAF Reserves, he entered commercial aviation as a flying instructor and barnstormer throughout Nova Scotia, and obtained an Engineer's Licence as well.
In 1933 Rood became a flight instructor with the Cape Breton Flying Club at Sydney, Nova Scotia, and two years later went to England to join British Airways as a pilot. From 1935 to 1937, he flew routes which included London, Copenhagen and Stockholm. At this time, he earned his British Navigator's Licence.
In 1937 he returned to Canada as one of the first pilots to be hired by the newly-formed Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA), pioneering the Rocky Mountain route between Lethbridge, Alberta, and Vancouver, British Columbia. He became one of the founding members of the Canadian Air Line Pilots Association (CALPA) when a group of TCA pilots met in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in December 1937, to form an association.
At the outbreak of World War II, Rood was declared essential to the public service and prohibited from joining the military. The Hon. C.D. Howe, who was head of the Canadian Department of Munitions and Supply, seconded him in 1942 to the Return Ferry Service, Royal Air Force Transport Command, flying the north Atlantic Ocean between Montreal, Quebec, and Prestwick, Scotland. Pilots engaged in this war-time effort flew Liberator aircraft, converted to carry people rather than bombs, and brought ferry crews back to Canada after they had made their delivery of aircraft to the U.K. In 1943 he was assigned to No. 10 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron at Gander, Newfoundland, and instructed on Liberator B-24 bombers.
Rood was asked to help in the formation of the Canadian Government Trans-Atlantic Air Service (CGTAS), designed to deliver high ranking Allied officers, government officials, special cargo and mail between Canada and the U.K. with the greatest possible speed. He was named Chief Pilot of this service and remained in that post until war's end when the service was taken over by TCA.
During the years of expansion of TCA, Rood was highly regarded for his abilities in every area of flight operations. He was put in charge of all flying personnel selection and training, and played a major role in determining aircraft types used by the airline. He was named a senior member of many world aviation councils, representing TCA.
In 1944 Rood went on to become Chief Pilot of TCA's Atlantic Operation, and in 1947 he was named Superintendent of Flight Operations for TCA's trans-Atlantic service. One of his major contributions was his leadership in aircraft cockpit design and layout, which, with advanced electronics, resulted in two pilots being capable of flying even the largest aircraft safely and efficiently.
From 1950 to 1968, he was Director of Flight Operations for TCA, which was re-named Air Canada in 1965. He served as Vice-President of Flight Operations for Air Canada until his retirement in 1971, with nearly 20,000 hours as pilot-in-command. He died in Calgary, Alberta on April 29, 2004.
Lindsay (Lindy) Rood was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held at Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: October 19, 1909
Birth Place: Toronto, Ontario
Death Date: December 15, 1994
Year Inducted: 1994
"His ingenuity and dedication to the quality servicing and maintenance of aircraft over a span of 60 years has made him a respected player in the development of bush flying and has been of major benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1994
Frank Walter Russell was born in Toronto, Ontario, on October 19, 1909. He began his career in aviation with de Havilland of Canada in 1929. While there his team assembled the first Tiger Moth to be built in Canada. Later, this aircraft joined the Austin Airways fleet.
In 1934 Russell accepted a position with Capreol and Austin Airways as their first employee. Initially, he was responsible for the maintenance and servicing of two Waco aircraft at the company's waterfront location in Toronto. During the first winter, 1934-35, Austin Airways established a maintenance base at the airport in North Toronto. He received his Air Engineer's Licence in 1936.
He set up a new base for Austin Airways at Sudbury, Ontario, on the shore of Ramsey Lake. This enabled the company to serve the prospectors, mine operators, lumber camps, and people of northern Ontario more efficiently. In 1940 Russell was issued his Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's Licence, with Category A, B, & D endorsements, and became Superintendent of Maintenance for Austin Airways, a position he held for 35 years. The demand to transport goods and people by air in Canada's north prompted the growth of Austin Airways fleet, with the addition of seven Noorduyn Norseman aircraft, five de Havilland Beavers, three Cessna 180's, one Fairchild Husky, three Avro Ansons, two amphibious Cansos and two Douglas DC-3's. By the mid-1950's, Russell had 23 aircraft to keep airworthy.
Maintaining the company's aircraft in good repair was a dawn-to-dusk business for Russell. In good weather, pilots would be off at daybreak, and would fly back and forth between the base and wherever they were serving - a camp site, forest fire fighting, a mine, or chartering passengers. Each time a plane returned, Russell would help with loading and check any mechanical needs of the aircraft.
Russell's work in the winter of 1945 on a Fleet Freighter, CF-BJW, was recorded by a Canadian Aviation Historical researcher in the following manner: "The original engines with grease-lubricated rockers were replaced with later model L-6MB engines with pressure-lubricated rockers and constant speed props were installed. The oil rods and engine control system from a Cessna were installed. The original Fleet system of wire sliding in a fibre-lined tube had a tendency to pick up moisture that could freeze, so these were all replaced. The old slow-acting tail plane trim system was redesigned to eliminate the need for excessive trim wheel spinning. The floats had been damaged and replaced the previous summer. BJW was re-covered and finished with the Austin Airways colours of black fuselage with silver trim and red wings. The Austin Airways crest was applied to sides of the forward fuselage." BJW was but one of the dozens of aircraft ingeniously modified by Frank Russell.
On one occasion, when an aircraft failed to arrive on schedule, a search was planned for the following morning. While the pilots slept, Russell and his crew worked and had the Fleet serviced and ready for take-off before daybreak. The downed plane was found before ten o'clock the next morning.
At one point he purchased a Norseman Mk V fuselage in order to facilitate the replacement of one on a Mk VI. The Mk VI was too busy to be taken out of service so Russell took the Mk V fuselage and some spare parts and built a Mk V Norseman, CF-IGG. Austin Airways Chief Pilot, Rusty Blakey declared CF-IGG to be the best performing Norseman in the fleet.
In 1955 a Canso ran aground on the Winisk River, which empties into Hudson Bay. Russell was among those called to plan the salvage. The Canso was partially submerged and it appeared to be a total loss. The river current was swift, approximately 25 mph (40 kph) and the plane was grounded just upstream from rapids. Russell's crew used quick-drying cement to plug the holes, and pumps to re-float it. The salvage operation was a success.
The tasks of the aviators serving the Arctic were made easier through Russell's efforts. Much of the credit given to Austin Airways for helping the native population and in the control and elimination of tuberculosis was due to the work of Frank Russell. After more than 41 years with Austin Airways, Russell retired in 1975. He died on December 15, 1994.
Frank Walter Russell was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1994 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: November 11, 1896
Birth Place: Goderich, Ontario
Death Date: November 17, 1992
Year Inducted: 2011
"Starting as a pilot during the First World War, Dick Ryan continued with aviation as a flying instructor, airline company administrator, and then served as the manager of a British Commonwealth Air Training Plan navigation school during the Second World War. In over 20 years with Canadian Pacific Air Lines, he helped to develop the company's international service." - Induction citation, 2011
Born in Huron County, Ontario on November 11, 1896, Richard W. (Dick) Ryan was raised on the family farm at Nile, Ontario, where lie attended a one-room school. In 1916, during his third year at University of Toronto, he enlisted for infantry training in the First World War with the University Officers Overseas Training Corps. In 1917 the Royal Naval Air Service called for 50 volunteers who would receive the rank of sub-lieutenant. Seizing the opportunity, Dick Ryan was soon sailing to Liverpool.
In England, the aspiring aviators were offered the rank of first lieutenant in the Royal Flying Corps. After basic flying Dick was recommended for training as a fighter pilot, then posted to RFC No. 66 Squadron in France. His squadron acquired the famous Sopwith Camel aircraft and Dick mastered its performance.
In November 1917, the squadron was relocated to Italy to support British infantry. In a formation flight on his first patrol, Dick's aircraft was hit from below by another Sopwith Camel. The two aircraft locked together and began a spiral dive from 10,000 feet. Miraculously, they separated. With no propeller, Dick made a forced landing and survived. Sadly, the other pilot was killed.
Dick was returned to the U.K. and hospitalized for over two months while recovering, then returned to service as a flying instructor. In April 1918 the Royal Flying Corps became the Royal Air Force. Near completion of his tour as an instructor, two all-Canadian squadrons were formed and Dick "was assigned to No. 1 Canadian Squadron of the RAF, but his transfer was delayed. The war ended on November 11, 1918. Waiting for return to Canada, Dick flew various exercises, including seaplane training and ferry flights bringing surrendered German aircraft to England.
Dick graduated from the University of Toronto with a B.A. degree in 1920. In 1922 he qualified as a high school teacher at Regina Normal School, taught for a year in a small rural school at Grand Coulee, then accepted a teaching position at Ross Collegiate in Moose Jaw in 1922. While there he met Marjorie Brittain, whom he married in August 1924. In 1928 he began instructing with the Moose Jaw Flying Club, part-time during the school year and full-time during summer holidays.
In 1930 Dick and Marjorie became parents with the arrival of their daughter, Beverley, and Dick became the instructor for the flying club, serving as events manager for the first Moose Jaw air show. In 1931 he became manager of the flying club in addition to instructing. In 1932 he received an M.A. degree from the University of Alberta.
Moose Jaw Flying Club formed a commercial air charter company in 1935, Prairie Airways Ltd., with Dick Ryan as a director. Following formation of Trans-Canada Airlines, Prairie Airways was licensed to carry mail and operate feeder flights to Saskatchewan cities not served by TCA. Prairie Airways then needed a full-time manager, hiring Dick Ryan, who resigned from teaching in 1937.
In the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan of the Second World War, No. 3 Air Observer School was established in 1941 at Regina. Prairie Airways formed a new operation, Prairie Flying School Ltd., to operate the school and train navigators, with Dick Ryan as manager. The company also operated an aircraft repair facility for the BCATP at Moose Jaw and, at its peak, the plant provided "work for some 900 employees.
In 1940, Canadian Pacific Air Lines (CPAL) purchased ten small airline companies, including Prairie Airways Ltd. CPAL also took over the operation of the facility at Moose Jaw and training schools operated by the acquired companies, but not No. 3 AOS, where Ryan remained as manager. He also acted as superintendent of the Saskatchewan district of Canadian Pacific Air Lines, with C.H. 'Punch' Dickins as general manager.
In 1943, No. 3 AOS was closed. Ryan was then appointed supervisor of operations for western lines of CPAL. He toured western operations and recommended that CPAL drop its bush operations and build a scheduled airline service. A month later, he was appointed as General Superintendent of western lines.
In 1945 CPAL began converting surplus Douglas Dakota DC-3 aircraft for passenger service in western and northern Canada. In 1946 Dick was appointed general manager of operations and in 1947 Grant McConachie, who was instrumental in formation of the company, was appointed as president. By 1948, CPAL planned to extend services across the Pacific and needed larger and faster aircraft "with longer range, ordering Canadair North Star aircraft for those flights.
With increasing operations in Montreal, Dick was made Executive Assistant to the president. DC-3 service was now offered in Quebec, but as most operations were in the west with service to the Pacific from Vancouver, company headquarters were relocated there. Dick was involved with service to new destinations as larger aircraft were put into service, including Douglas DC-6B models.
In 1951 he was appointed by Grant McConachie as Vice-President. In the 1950s, international service expanded from Canada to Mexico City and South America. European cities were added to nights, but CPAL could still not provide cross-country service in Canada, as that privilege was held by the government-owned monopoly, Trans-Canada Airlines.
In July 1956, Dick Ryan became Executive Vice-president and was seated on the board of directors. In 1957, he was elected as president of the Air Industry Transport Association of Canada. In 1959, CPAL was allowed to operate one transcontinental flight per day using Bristol Brittania turboprop aircraft and entered the jet age in 1961 with the purchase of its first four-engine Douglas DC8-43 aircraft.
Dick Ryan died on November 17, 1992 at his home in Penticton, British Columbia, predeceased by Marjorie in 1984, survived by their daughter, Beverley. His life in aviation saw him participate in its development as a pilot, an instructor, manager and airline executive member for nearly half a century, from the time of primitive biplanes to the age of jet-propelled airliners.
Dick Ryan was inducted as Member of Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame on May 26, 2011 at a ceremony held in Hamilton, Ontario.
“From Boxkite to Boardroom” - Richard W. Ryan (1982) ISBN-13: 978-0969297703