Item has been added to your cart!
View Cart
Menu
 

Please update your browser's security settings.
To maintain the highest security standards, we will be disabling support for browsers using TLS 1.0. Learn more and upgrade your browser here.

 

Member Profiles


A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T V W Y Z


Chris Austin Hadfield

Birthdate: August 29, 1959
Birth Place: Sarnia, Ontario
Year Inducted: 2005
Awards: M.S.C.,C.D.*, B.Sc., M.Sc., 0.0., LLD. (Hon), D. Eng. (Hon), Exceptional Service Medal (NASA), The Vanier Award.

"Through his many achievements in Space, his dedication to perfection and his many firsts as a Canadian in Space, he inspires young Canadians and brings honour and recognition to Canada and its Space Agency." - Induction citation, 2005

Chris Austin Hadfield, M.S.C.,C.D.*, B.Sc., M.Sc., 0.0., LLD. (Hon), D. Eng. (Hon), was born in Sarnia, Ontario on August 29, 1959 and raised on a farm near Milton, Ontario. His is a flying family, and he became interested in flying at an early age.

In July 1969, he watched television as Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon, and he resolved then that he would become an astronaut. This resolve governed everything he did from then on and he excelled at every challenge. As an Air Cadet, he won glider and powered pilot scholarships and graduated with honours from Milton High School in 1977.

Hadfield joined the Canadian Armed Forces in May 1978. He studied at Royal Roads Military College in Victoria, B.C. and Royal Military College at Kingston, Ontario, graduating with a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, with honours, in 1982. In addition to his honours studies, he was top pilot at basic flying training at Portage La Prairie, Manitoba in 1980.

He returned to flight training and was overall top graduate at Basic Jet Training at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in 1982-83. He completed fighter and CF-18 training at the military base at Cold Lake, Alberta in 1984-1985.

For the next three years, Hadfield was with No. 425 Squadron, flying CF-18's for NORAD (North American Air Defence). In June 1985 Colonel Hadfield flew the first CF-18 intercept of a Soviet "Bear" long range patrol aircraft on the east coast of Canada. He attended the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base in California and was presented with the 1988 Liethen-Tittle Award for top graduate.

Upon graduation, he served as an exchange officer with the U.S. Navy at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland. From 1989 to 1992, he flight tested the F/A-18 and A-7 aircraft. He performed research work with NASA on pitch control margin simulation, test flew the first military flight of F/A-18 enhanced performance engines, piloted the first flight test of the National Aerospace Plane external burning hydrogen propulsion system, developed a new rating scale for handling qualities in high angle-of-attack tests, and participated in the extremely dangerous F/A-18 out-of-control recovery test program.

While on this exchange posting, Colonel Hadfield was named the U.S. Navy Test Pilot of the year 1991. He also attended the University of Tennessee at this time, where he received a Master of Science degree in aviation systems in 1992.

In June 1992 Hadfield was selected to become one of four new Canadian astronauts from a field of 5000 applicants. He was assigned by the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) to the NASA Johnson Space Centre in Houston, Texas in August of that year, where he addressed technical and safety issues for Shuttle Operations, contributed to the development of the glass shuttle cockpit, and supported shuttle launches at the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida. He was NASA'S Chief CAPCOM, the voice of mission control to astronauts in orbit for 25 space shuttle missions.

In November 1995 Hadfield made his first flight into space. He served as Mission Specialist #1 on STS-74, NASA'S second space shuttle mission to rendezvous and dock with the Russian Space Station Mir. During the 8-day, 129 orbit flight, the crew of Space Shuttle Atlantis successfully attached a five-tonne docking module to Mir and transferred over 1000 kg of food, water, and scientific supplies to the cosmonauts. Hadfield flew as the first Canadian mission specialist, the first Canadian to operate the Canadarm in orbit, and the only Canadian ever to board Mir.

From 1996 to 2000, Hadfield served as the Chief Astronaut for the CSA, representing Canadian astronauts and co-ordinating their activities.

Hadfield was selected for a second space flight, and in April 2001 he was Mission Specialist #1 on STS-100, International Space Station (ISS) assembly Flight 6A. The crew of Space Shuttle Endeavour delivered Canadarm 2, the new Canadian-built robotic arm. During this flight, he performed two space walks while installing Canadarm 2. He tells about a quiet moment during the assembly work when he gently eased away from the side of the station, floating free, barely holding on to a flimsy fabric strap, and looking out at beautiful Mother Earth, the Space Station and the vast darkness of the universe beyond.

This flight made Hadfield the first Canadian to ever leave a spacecraft and float free in space. In total he spent more than 14 hours outside of the spacecraft while orbiting 10 times around the earth. The entire STS-100 Mission was accomplished in 11 1/2 days, during which time the shuttle travelled 7.9 million km and orbited the earth 187 times.

From 2000 to 2003 Hadfield was the Director of Operations for NASA at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre in Star City, Russia. His work included coordination and direction of all ISS crew activities in Russia, the overseeing of training and crew support staff, as well as policy negotiation with the Russian Space Program. He also trained and became fully qualified to be a flight engineer cosmonaut in the Soyuz TMA spacecraft, and to perform space walks in the Russian Orlan space suit.

Hadfield is a member of the Royal Military College Club, the Society of Experimental Test Pilots, and the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute. He has received many honours in recognition of his accomplishments. In addition to twice being named Top Test Pilot of the Year, he has received an Honorary Doctorate of Engineering from the Royal Military College in 1996, Honorary Doctor of Laws from Trent University in 1999. He was made a Member of the Order of Ontario in 1996 and received the Vanier Award in 2001, the Meritorious Service Cross in 2001, the NASA Exceptional Service Medal in 2002, and the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal in 2003.

Hadfield retired in 2013 as a civilian astronaut, having retired as a Colonel from the Canadian Air Force in 2003 after 25 years of military service. He was Chief of Robotics for NASA at the Johnson Space Centre in Houston, Texas. He and his family returned to Canada in 2013, and he maintains his interests in music and sports. He is an inspiration to young Canadians, devoting many hours to encouraging students to pursue their education and follow their dreams.

Chris Hadfield is one of the most seasoned and accomplished astronauts in the world. The top graduate of the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School in 1988 and U.S. Navy test pilot of the year in 1991, Hadfield was selected by the Canadian Space Agency to be an astronaut in 1992. He was CAPCOM for 25  shuttle launches and served as Director of NASA Operations in Star City, Russia, from 2001-2003, Chief of Robotics at the Johnson Space Centre in Houston from 2005-2006, and Chief of International Space Station Operations from 2006-2008. Hadfield most recently served as Commander of the International Space Station where, while conducting a record-setting number of scientific experiments and overseeing an emergency spacewalk, he gained worldwide acclaim for his breathtaking photographs and educational videos about life in space. His music video, a zero-gravity version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity," received.over 10 million views in its first three days online. His book “An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth” was published in 2013. Among his new challenges Chris Hadfield is a regular contributor on CBC's "The National" and on CBC Radio One.

Chris Austin Hadfield was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 2005 at ceremonies held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

In 2003 Canada Post unveiled its space-themed series of collector stamps honouring all eight Canadian astronauts who have flown on NASA space shuttles. Marc Garneau, Roberta Bondar, Steve MacLean, Chris Hadfield, Robert Thirsk, Bjarni Tryggvason, Dave Williams and Julie Payette. They served on a total of 11 separate missions.



Harry Halton

Birthdate: January 24, 1922
Birth Place: Pilsen, Czechoslovakia
Death Date: December 17, 2003
Year Inducted: 1984
Awards: O.C., The Gordon R. McGregor Memorial Trophy (RCAF), FCASI, Organization for Rehabilitation and Training Centennial Medal (Canada), The Gerald A. McNaughton Gold Medal (IEEE)

"His exceptional abilities in aircraft design and development together with his outstanding personal and leadership qualities have all been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1984

Harry Halton, B.Sc., was born in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia, on January 24, 1922. He emigrated to England in 1938 where he attended technical school at Walthamstow, earning his diploma in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. He attended Northampton Polytechnic, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in 1944.

Throughout World War II, while pursuing his formal education, he also worked for the Bell Punch Co. Ltd. of Uxbridge, Middlesex, first as a machinist and then as an assistant in design and component development of hydraulic and electrical equipment for many aircraft. These included the Avro Anson, the Hawker Hurricane, Tornado and Typhoon, the Supermarine Spitfire and Vickers Wellington, the Airspeed Oxford, Blackburn Botha, Short Stirling, and the Handley Page Halifax. He also did component work on the de Havilland Mosquito, Fairey Swordfish and Barracuda, and the Avro Lancaster. In 1946 Halton was appointed Chief Design Engineer at D & H Designs Ltd., London, England.

In 1948 Halton moved to Canada to join Canadair Ltd. in Montreal as a design engineer working on the North Star conversion and the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) C-5. He became Test Engineer in 1950 and moved up to Group Leader, Functional Test Group. He became Program Manager for the CL-89 Surveillance Drone in 1967. He was next appointed Program Manager for the CL-215 Water Bomber, being responsible for all activities including design, development, certification and production.

In 1971 Canadair Ltd. appointed Halton as Director of Engineering responsible for the engineering on all programs. In 1972 he was appointed Vice-President, Engineering, and three years later he became Executive Vice-President. In the latter position he was responsible for all engineering quality control, procurement, program management, manufacturing and industrial engineering, and product support activities on all Canadair programs. He was specifically responsible for the establishment and operation of the Canadair/Urban Transportation Development Corporation Intermediate Capacity Transit System Development and Test Facility in Kingston, Ontario.

As Program Manager, Halton was responsible for the total development of the Challenger, a wide-bodied corporate jet. Responsibilities included everything from the preliminary design, definition, detail design, planning, tooling, prototype manufacture, flight tests, obtaining certification by the Department of Transport (Canada) and Federal Aviation Authority (U.S.), to production and final deliveries of the CL-600 Lycoming ALF-502 powered aircraft. As well, he was responsible for the definition and initial detail design for the CL-601 GE CF-34 powered Challenger. Halton established the Surveillance Systems as a Canadair product line by initiating the CL-289 Long Range Drone and CL-227 Remotely Piloted Vehicle programs.

Halton is a Past President and Fellow of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, Senior Member of the Instrument Society of America, Senior Member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Senior Life Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and an Honorary Life Member of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada.

Aviation Week and Space Technology, an aviation journal, awarded Halton 'Laurels for 1978' for outstanding leadership in the development of the Challenger. The Governor General of Canada awarded him the Organization for Rehabilitation and Training Centennial Medal for "exemplary contribution to technical education". In 1981 he received the RCAF Association Gordon R. McGregor Memorial trophy for "outstanding contribution to Canadian civil and military aviation". In 1984 he received the General A. McNaughton Gold Medal from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers for "outstanding service to the Canadian aerospace industry".

Halton retired from Canadair Ltd. in 1983. In 2002 Harry Halton was inducted as a member of the Quebec Air and Space Hall of Fame. On January 17th, 2003 he was appointed as an Officer of the Order of Canada. the Citation reads: “He has made major contributions to the Canadian aerospace industry. A mechanical and electrical engineer, he had a distinguished career with Canadair that culminated with his appointment as executive vice-president. He was involved in many important programs, including the CL-215, one of the world's first water bombers, as well as the Challenger, the world's first wide-body business jet that revolutionized the commercial airline industry. Now a consultant, he has also served as president of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute and as a head of numerous other industry associations. A member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame, he is also a leader in his community, and has given unstintingly of his time to many charitable organizations."

Harry Halton died on December 17, 2003 in Montreal, Quebec.

Harry Halton was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1984 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

In September 1975, shortly after becoming Executive Vice President of Canadair, Harry Halton emerged as a paraplegic following routine surgery for a small tumour. In spite of this tragic accident and the subsequent limitations to his mobility, he pursued his career to the full, achieving the highest honours his company and peers could grant him.



Donald T. Hamilton

Birthdate: November 26, 1924
Birth Place: Havelock, Ontario
Death Date: July 27, 2011
Year Inducted: 2011

"In a lifetime of aviation, Don Hamilton began with training in the Royal Canadian Air Force. With the purchase of his first small aircraft he became an entrepreneur in the aviation industry. Starting with charter service and bush flying, as a businessman he eventually built Air Spray (1967) Ltd. into a leading fleet operation for aerial fire suppression." - Induction citation, 2011

Donald T. Hamilton was born at Havelock, Ontario on November 26, 1924. Don's father had come from Ontario to homestead near Dummer, Saskatchewan and in the mid-1930s, Don's parents moved to the hamlet of Tilney, Saskatchewan, where his father continued to operate a grain elevator and his mother operated a general store and post office.

Following high school, Don enlisted in 1942 at 18 in the King's Own Rifle Regiment of Canada. In 1943 he transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force, graduating in 1944 as a Bomb Aimer at No. 2 Bombing and Gunnery School at Mossbank, Saskatchewan. The war ended before Don was shipped overseas. He mustered out in August 1945, but returned to aviation in flight training at the Moose Jaw Flying Club in May 1946.

With a private pilot's licence and only 18 hours in his log book in a Tiger Moth, in 1947 Don bought his first airplane, a new two-seater Cessna 120 with call letters CF-ELM. The young pilot had dreams of making a living as a barnstormer, but because he did not have a commercial license, he hired a qualified pilot to work for him in taking passengers at three dollars a ride at sports days in small towns.

The venture was profitable, but when Don tried giving a flight to two young women in his overloaded little airplane, the Cessna snagged on telephone wires in takeoff, crashing with serious damage to the airplane, but fortunately with no injuries to anyone on board. After repairs, the Cessna was flown again, but when landing in a field on his uncle's farm, the wheels sank into the soil and ELM flipped over onto its back. Don stayed through harvest season while repairs were completed.

In 1947, after purchasing skis for his airplane for winter flying, Don flew frozen fish for processing at Cold Lake, Alberta, then a town of only 200 people. Returning to Moose Jaw at the end of winter, Don modified the Cessna for crop spraying. In 1948, he returned to Cold Lake, starting an air charter service called Cold Lake Air Services Ltd., flying fish, passengers and cargo to serve Cold Lake, Hay River, NWT and Great Bear Lake. Seeing opportunity in Hay River, he moved there and acquired a Fur Buyer's license to complement his Fish Buyer's permit and purchased pelts to fly to Edmonton for resale to furriers.

In 1950, back in Cold Lake, Don purchased a Stinson 108-2, flying it from Toronto, using it to transport government personnel for aerial survey work locating a site for what would become the Cold Lake Canadian Forces Base. With construction underway by 1951, Don was kept busy with air charter service between Edmonton and Cold Lake. Two more aircraft were acquired, the Cessna and an Avro Anson Mark V. Pilots were hired as needed and Don himself was the first to land on the runway at the base while it was still under construction. When the base was completed, Don sold the Stinson and the Cessna.

Thanks to construction of the Distant Early Warning Line with 63 radar sites along a distance of 4,800 km inside the Arctic Circle, Don was hired by Tommy Fox of Associated Airways in Edmonton to carry freight and passengers from DEW Line northern headquarters at Cambridge Bay. Don's Anson was put back in service and he was the first to land on wheels at the DEW Line airstrip on King William Island.

In 1956 Associated Airways changed to helicopters. Again Don looked for new opportunities. He flew Ansons and Beavers for Standard Oil and sold aircraft for Gateway Aviation in Edmonton. Soon he and partners established Aero Engineering in a wartime hangar to offer maintenance and repair service. He sold out to the partners in 1958 and established Hamilton Aviation, selling Helio Courier and Dornier aircraft while still providing charter service. He continued hauling fish in northern Alberta and to carry bigger loads, acquired a Fairchild 82. Hamilton Aviation operated from Hangar No. 8 at Edmonton City Centre Airport until Don built the General Aviation Center there in 1987.

In 1969 Don Hamilton became a partner with Dave Harrington in Air Spray (1967) Ltd., helping launch the company into forest fire suppression. It had a B-26 Invader bomber converted to carry fire retardant and acquired a Cessna 310 which Don flew as a "bird dog" to lead the bomber into fire fighting areas. Two more B-26 aircraft were obtained for use in Alberta, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon.

In 1972 Don bought out his partner. In 1974 operations moved to the Red Deer Regional Airport, formerly the wartime BCATP station at Penhold. With contracts to operate provincial government aircraft, Air Spray increased its own fleet. By 1990 Air Spray was operating fifteen B-26 Invaders, three Canadair 215s, two Cessna 340s, three Aerostars and a Cessna Citation executive jet. Staff had grown to 60 pilots, support and maintenance personnel.

In the 1980s Alberta contracted two four-engined Douglas DC-6B aircraft capable of carrying 2,400 gallons of fire retardant, which were used through the 1990s. Moving to replace piston aircraft, Hamilton selected the Lockheed Electra L-188, powered by four turboprop engines. Eight of them, accompanied by eight Gulfstream twin-engine turboprop aircraft for bird dog duty, comprise the largest such fleet in North America.

Tragedy struck in 2000 when the company's hangar at Penhold burned down, with the fatal loss of one of Air Spray's engineers. An Electra, three B-26s, a Cessna 310 and Don's cherished Cessna 120 were destroyed. The company recovered when Don built a 97,000 square foot hangar on the same site in 2001. Business continues today with a fleet of aircraft and 60 employees. During summer months, staff increases with the addition of some 40 pilots and in the winter many stay on to fly in contract charter service.

Don married his longtime sweetheart, Georgene, in 1958 and they raised two daughters, Lynn and Janis. Georgene, a nurse, passed away in 1995. Lynn serves as president of Air Spray (1967) Ltd. Don continued as CEO, at the Edmonton office. Sixty-five years after earning a pilot's license, he continued to fly his Cessna 340 until his sudden and unexpected passing on July 27, 2011 just two months after his induction.

Don Hamilton was inducted as a Member of Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame on May 26, 2011 at a ceremony held in Hamilton, Ontario.

Don Hamilton had a great love of life and flying but sadly missed the opportunity to fly in the Martin “Mars” water bomber from Sproat Lake, B.C. that had been planned for July 2011.



Paul Albert Hartman

Birthdate: November 25, 1918
Birth Place: Grafton, Massachusetts, USA
Death Date: January 30, 1990
Year Inducted: 1974
Awards: DFC, AFC, CD*

"His record can be matched only by those airmen of high endeavor and professional calling, who have devoted their lives and skills to the benefit of the free world, despite adversity, and whose contributions have substantially benefited Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974

Paul Albert Hartman, DFC, AFC, CD*, was born in Grafton, Massachusetts, U.S.A., on November 25, 1918, and moved with his family to South Portland, Maine, in 1933. He attended school there and learned to fly, obtaining his Private Pilot's Licence in 1938. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1941, and was commissioned a Pilot Officer that same year. After completing a navigational reconnaissance course with the RCAF at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, he was posted to the Royal Air Force (RAF) Ferry Command at Dorval, Quebec. He ferried a Lockheed Hudson across the North Atlantic Ocean to Scotland in April 1942.

On arrival in the United Kingdom, Hartman completed his operational training in Northern Ireland, then joined No. 69 Squadron, Royal Air Force, in 1942, flying Vickers Wellington bombers on night torpedo runs off the coast of Malta. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) later that year for sinking an enemy vessel by torpedo, despite intense anti-aircraft fire from protecting enemy destroyers. He was then promoted to Flying Officer.

In 1943 he returned to Canada where he served as a Flight Lieutenant Instructor with No. 6 Operational Training Unit, RCAF, before taking command of No. 3 Training Squadron and Glider Training Detachment at Cassidy, British Columbia., For his services to this command he was awarded the Air Force Cross (AFC).

At the end of the war, Hartman was appointed to serve at the Test and Development Establishment at Rockcliffe, Ontario, where he was named Staff Test Pilot. In 1948, after completing a specialist course, he was posted to Farnborough, England, where he completed the Empire Test Pilot's Course. He then returned to his post at Rockcliffe.

Hartman became a Canadian citizen in 1951, and in 1952 completed the RCAF Staff College course as a Squadron Leader. He was promoted to Wing Commander and assigned to RCAF Headquarters at Ottawa, Ontario, where he held several senior staff positions in training, transport and air defence commands. He served three terms as a test pilot at the RCAF's Central Experimental and Proving Establishment. In 1961 he was named Commanding Officer of the unit and the following year became Senior Test Pilot. Because of his extensive flying experience in all RCAF aircraft, Hartman was appointed test pilot of the Avro CF-100 and Canadair F-86E Sabre acceptance trials.

In commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of manned flight in Canada, Hartman was invited to fly the RCAF-built replica of the Silver Dart. The flight took place at Baddeck, Nova Scotia, on February 23, 1959, on the same site where J.A.D.  McCurdy first flew the original aircraft in 1909. Some 13,000 people, McCurdy included, witnessed the historic flight on the ice of Bras d'Or Lake.

In 1964 Hartman served with the United Nations Emergency Force as Commanding Officer of No. 115 Air Transport Unit, based at El Arish, Egypt. The following year he was named Base Operations Officer of Canadian Forces Base Uplands, Ontario.

Hartman retired from the service in 1968 after having flown 120 different aircraft types and logging over 7,000 hours of flight time. Following his retirement, he served as a test pilot with Canadair Limited at Cartierville, Quebec, on the CL-215 water bomber project. In 1971 he formed his own aeronautical consulting firm, Triple-A Aero Service, in Ottawa, and worked as a freelance test pilot.

His contribution to manned flight was recognized by the Royal Aeronautical Society which named him an Associate Fellow. He was awarded the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) and Clasp for his years of service. Paul Hartman died in Ottawa, Ontario on January 30, 1990.

Paul Albert Hartman was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

Some of Hartman’s exceptional memories of flying include piloting six vintage aircraft from the National Aeronautical Collection in Ottawa, Ontario, for Canada’s Centennial Celebrations in 1967. These included reproductions of the Nieuport 17 and Sopwith Triplane, a restored Sopwith Snipe and an original Avro 504K. Two other originals he flew were the Aeronca C-2 and the Fleet Finch. Flying these at the end of his long career emphasized the amount of progress that had been made in the world of aviation, and the change that progress has made in the relationship that exists between the pilot and the aircraft he or she is flying.



Henry Winston Hayter

Nickname: Harry
Birthdate: October 29, 1900
Birth Place: Murray River, Prince Edward Island
Death Date: March 17, 1974
Year Inducted: 1974

"The unselfish application of his airborne skills and his personal determination in the operation of his own aeroplane, despite adversity, over isolated areas for sustained periods of time in the service of others, have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." —induction citation, 1974

Henry Winston (Harry) Hayter was born in Murray River, Prince Edward Island, on October 29, 1900. He joined the Canadian Light Infantry at age 15 and served with the 26th Battalion in France until October 9, 1918, when he was wounded. While recovering, he completed his secondary education by correspondence before attending three more years at veteran's college.

Hayter worked at Jacksonville, Florida, for the Buick Motor Company in 1924 as a special tool maker, and worked nights and weekends repairing small aircraft in exchange for flying lessons. In 1927 he moved to St. John, New Brunswick, where he completed his flight training and qualified for his Transport Pilot's Certificate and Air Engineer's Licence. During this time, Hayter flew every available aircraft type in the Maritimes as a barnstormer and charter pilot. He also flew as seal-spotter for the Boston fleet from a base in the Magdalen Islands (lies de la Madeleine, Quebec), near Prince Edward Island.

In 1932, having read about the uranium find at Great Bear Lake in the Northwest Territories, he flew his own aircraft from St. John across Canada to Fort McMurray, Alberta, where he organized his own air operation carrying passengers and freight northward into the sub-Arctic. He established a base at Cameron Bay on Great Bear Lake, and worked closely with Mackenzie Air Service in providing a life-line for the inhabitants of the area.

He became nationally known in the fall of 1933 when a freighter and barge were caught in a severe storm on Great Bear Lake and the eleven men aboard were presumed lost. In preparation for freeze-up, Hayter was changing his plane from floats to skis at Cameron Bay, on the east end of the lake. During this period, neither floats nor skis are useful, since a trip which begins in the frozen north with skis will need floats to land on water further south. Hayter knew the dangers of flying his plane over the waters of Great Bear Lake, but he also knew that an air search must be started immediately in order to find and save the crew of those two vessels.

In one of the greatest mercy flights of the north, he began his search on October 29. With snow and ice carpeting the shoreline, Hayter flew his unheated, single-engined, ski-equipped aircraft over the freezing 12,000 square mile (31,200 sq. km) body of water, often at wave-top height, for 11 consecutive days until he finally located the nine Survivors and flew them to safety.

Fortunately, only one of the men, Vic Ingraham, desperately needed hospitalization for treatment of severely frozen limbs. Hayter had only one choice of hospital, Aklavik, where he could land with skis. On December 2nd, W.R. 'Wop' May flew to Aklavik to bring Ingraham to hospital in Edmonton, Alberta. Ingraham survived his ordeal, and returned to live in the north.

In 1934 Hayter's extraordinary talents as a pilot and air engineer were recognized by W.L. Leigh Brintnell, owner of Mackenzie Air Service, who hired him as his company's General Manager. At the same time, Hayter was recognized for his exemplary service to the Northwest Territories by being appointed Commissioner for that area. Among many of his notable 'firsts' was piloting the inaugural passenger flight from Dawson City in the Yukon, to Edmonton, Alberta. He went on to become a near-legend to the adventurous trappers and prospectors whom he flew into remote regions, leaving them isolated for months at a time, but never failing to pick them up on the appointed day.

He remained with Mackenzie Air Service until World War II was declared in 1939. The Royal Canadian Air Force commissioned him as a Flying Officer, but the government diverted his services almost immediately to organize and manage Aircraft Repair Limited in Edmonton. This job took him to one of the largest maintenance plants in Canada, working with W.L. Brintnell. It was important to the war effort that this plant be kept open to maintain military aircraft.

In 1944 Hayter and M. 'Moss' Burbidge) were invited to Miami, Florida, to work with Transportes Aereos Centro-Americanos, an airline operating out of Miami and flying throughout Central America. Hayter became Operations Manager of the airline, and organized the first routes across uninhabited jungle. He also organized the first airmail flights from all of the Central American countries to Miami. Soon after returning to Edmonton in 1945, he responded to a request from Aero Transportes in Mexico to set up an administration office for that company. He was Captain on that country's first transcontinental flight, from Tampico on the east coast to Mazatlan on the west.

Hayter retired from professional flying in 1950. During his career he logged more than 20,000 command hours in numerous aircraft, including the renowned Bernelli Flying Wing. He died on March 17, 1974, in Edmonton, Alberta.

Henry Winston (Harry) Hayter was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

Harry Hayter brought his wife with him in 1933 to establish their home at Cameron Bay, N.W.T. They learned soon after that she was only the fifth white woman to live in the Arctic up to that time.



Robert Thomas Heaslip

Nickname: Bob
Birthdate: June 26, 1919
Birth Place: Uxbridge, Ontario
Death Date: December 30, 2007
Year Inducted: 1974
Awards: A.F.C., C.D.*, The McKee Trophy

"The application of his exceptional abilities as a military helicopter pilot, and his perfecting of new operating techniques for rotary wing aircraft, have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974

Robert Thomas (Bob) Heaslip, A.F.C., C.D.*, was born in Uxbridge, Ontario, on June 26, 1919. After graduating from Oshawa Collegiate in 1936, he joined the Oshawa Times-Gazette where he remained until he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1941. He received his pilot's wings the same year and was assigned to 122 Squadron at Patricia Bay, British Columbia, on army co-operation and transport flights. Two years later he was posted to 166 Squadron at Sea Island, British Columbia, as a communications and transport pilot. He was awarded the Air Force Cross (A.F.C.) in 1945 for his part in rescue activities.

At war's end Heaslip completed the RCAF's first pilot/navigator course at Summerside, Prince Edward Island, and was posted to No. 435 Squadron at Winnipeg, Manitoba, as a Flight Lieutenant. During 1947 he was trained as one of the RCAF's first helicopter pilots at Trenton, Ontario, and then was ordered to Rivers, Manitoba, to command the helicopter section of the RCAF Light Aircraft School. He instructed helicopter pilots until 1951, was then appointed Commanding Officer of the RCAF recruiting unit at Fort William, Ontario, promoted to Squadron Leader and posted to command the Hamilton, Ontario, recruitment centre. As the RCAF's most experienced helicopter pilot, he was named commander of the force's first all-helicopter unit, No. 108 Communications Flight at Bagotville, Quebec, in 1954.

In April of 1954, the Canadian and United States Governments jointly announced plans for continental air defence. Four links emerged in the planning: the northern Arctic link was known as the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line, the Mid-Canada Line was built along the 55th parallel of north latitude, the Pinetree Line was located along the Canada-U.S. border, and the fourth link was the line of radar towers which extended down both flanks of North America.

The Mid-Canada Defence Line was an electronic warning network with no tracking facilities. It consisted of a series of stations linked by multi-channel communications at intervals along the line. The system used an electronic device which sent a beam straight up to detect all types of airborne objects moving through the electronic 'fence', from ground level to heights above the ceiling of any bombers of that day. It received electronic warnings from the DEW Line, confirming the direction of any attack. It would give a minimum of 60 minutes warning to the closest North American targets against any bombers or other aircraft flying at speeds up to 700 miles (1,126 km) per hour. The Pinetree Line would control the interceptor forces.

At Bagotville, Heaslip organized and trained a 200-man unit to provide air transport for the construction phase of the Mid-Canada Line. In February 1956, Heaslip's unit, using up to 22 helicopters, carried out the major lift of the materials required to build and furnish the sites.

Heaslip was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy for his work in 1956, in recognition of his contribution to helicopter operations during the construction of the Mid-Canada Line. The helicopter flight he commanded had flown in excess of 9,000 hours airlifting 14,000 personnel and 10,000 tons (9,072 tonnes) of electronic and construction equipment over rugged terrain, often under hazardous conditions. He personally piloted many of these flights and he evolved unique airlift techniques for alarge variety of load configurations, including bulky antenna assemblies, large diesel engines, steel towers, and other equipment peculiar to the needs of the Mid-Canada Line operation. He was responsible for the evolution and perfection of many new cold-weather operating techniques, which allowed the operation to proceed smoothly under extreme climatic conditions in the north. His command was then moved to Rockcliffe, Ontario, and later disbanded.

After completing the RCAF Staff College course at Toronto, Ontario, in 1957, Heaslip was selected to remain on the college's directing staff for three years and was promoted to Wing Commander. A senior staff officer's posting followed at Trenton, where he supervised a selected staff in the development of military plans concerned with transport operations, including those related to United Nations (UN) requirements in foreign lands.

This comprehensive background in air operations led to his appointment in 1965 as Commanding Officer of No. 117 Air Transport Unit in Lahore, West Pakistan, operating in support of the UN mission to that country. The 100-man unit operated from the Himalayan Mountains near the Chinese border to the Arabian Sea, a frontier of some 1,200 miles (1,931 km).

The following year he was named Base Operations Officer and Second-in-Command of Canadian  Forces Base, Trenton, in charge of flying activities, support services, flight planning, air traffic control, weather services and air movement. He retired from the service in 1968 to become Military Marketing Manager in North America for de Havilland of Canada Ltd. at Downsview, Ontario. He received the Canadian Forces Decoration (C.D.) and Clasp for his service. Bob Heaslip died, at age 88, on December 30, 2007 in Toronto, Ontario.

Robert Thomas (Bob) Heaslip was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

The Continental Air Defence System was built on the theory that an attack would be launched by the U.S.S.R. across the north by conventional bombers. However, nuclear weapons, advances in radar-jamming methods, warning devices, and missiles made the system obsolete. The western half of the line was shut down in January 1964, the eastern half from Hudson Bay to Labrador ceased operation on March 31, 1965.



Joseph Fernand Henley

Nickname: Frank
Birthdate: December 8, 1922
Birth Place: Marsoui, Quebec
Year Inducted: 2013
Awards: C.M., The McKee Trophy

"After serving as a pilot in the Second World War, 'Frank' Henley built a long career in civil aviation as a bush pilot, airline pilot, and manager of aviation companies. He increased air service to northern Canada and for thirty years served Nordair Ltd. after establishing the company in 1957" - Induction citation, 2013

Joseph Fernand (Frank) Henley, CM, was born December 8, 1922 in Marsoui, Quebec, on the north shore of the Gaspe peninsula. He attended Gaspe Seminary, affiliated with Laval University, and at the Provincial Institute of Mines at Haileybury, Ontario, affiliated with the University of Toronto, he graduated with a certificate in Mining and Surveying.

In 1941 he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force and graduated in August 1942 as a pilot, receiving his officer's commission. He was soon labelled with the nickname of "Frank." After completion of flying training, he qualified as a flying instructor at St. Hubert, Quebec.

In 1943, Frank trained to serve in antisubmarine patrol. Now a Flight Lieutenant, in 1943 he joined RCAF No. l6l Squadron in Halifax, flying the twin-engined Douglas Digby and the amphibian Consolidated Canso. In 1944 he was trained to fly the four-engined Consolidated 'B-24 Liberator, then was posted to No. 10 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron in Gander, Newfoundland, flying sweep flights to locate submarines in the North Atlantic. On September 21, 1945, F/L Henley received his discharge, having flown 1,942 hours with the RCAF.

From October 1947 to January 1951, he flew bush flying operations with three Quebec companies: Gold Belt Air Service Ltd., A. Fecteau Transport Aerien, and Northern Wings Ltd. In the summer of 1950 for Northern Wings, Frank flew personnel in aerial mapping on the Labrador coast for the Geodetic Survey of Canada.

In 1951 Frank joined Maritime Central Airways Ltd., (MCA) based in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. By 1954 he was senior captain for MCA, responsible for northern base operations, particularly in connection with contracts for the Distant Early Warning Line, when radar sites were built across the Canadian Arctic. In 1955 he became director of MCA's transatlantic charter operations based at Dorval, Quebec.

In August 1956, he was appointed general manager of two air services, Boreal Airways Ltd. and Mont Laurier Aviation, both owned by MCA. In 1957 Frank amalgamated the two companies as Nordair Ltd. Under his leadership, Nordair improved air service to the eastern Arctic, providing scheduled flights from Montreal to serve Roberval, Fort Chimo and Frobisher Bay, using Douglas DC-3 and DC-4 aircraft. In 1961, with Lockheed Super Constellation aircraft, flights were extended to Resolute Bay, 1200 miles north of Frobisher Bay. In the mid-1960s Frank chose the Boeing 737-200 for trans-border charter flights and scheduled service between Montreal and the eastern Northwest Territories.

Nordair operated from 1957 to 1987, and provided international flights for transatlantic passenger and freight charters. Headquartered in Montreal, in 1987 the company was purchased by Canadian Pacific Air Lines. It in turn was purchased by Pacific Western Airlines, which became Canadian Airlines, while Nordair's turboprop operations were absorbed into Inter-Canadien, which operated until 1999.

From 1972 to 1983, Frank Henley acted as executive consultant for Hydro-Quebec Societe d'Energie de la Bate James (SEBJ) in connection with the James Bay Hydroelectric Project. His responsibilities included definition of operating standards, selection of airport and heliport sites, development of communication and navigation systems, and general managing of cargo and passenger transport.

In 1983, Frank was appointed Quebecair Vice President of Operations. From 1985 until his retirement in 1990, he was president of his own company, Zenith Aviation Inc., providing consulting service and supplying aircraft equipment, plus service for small private and commercial aircraft. By retirement in 1990, he had flown 31 types of aircraft for a total of 17,752 hours.

In 2000, Frank was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy by the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute. The trophy is the oldest and most prestigious aviation award in Canada, established in 1927. In 2002, he was inducted into the Quebec Aviation Hall of Fame (Fondation Aerovision Quebec). In 2004, Frank was honoured again when he was invested as a Member of the Order of Canada.

Frank Henley was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame at ceremonies held on May 30, 2013 at a ceremony held in Ottawa, Ontario.



On December 23, 1944, Frank married Blanche Montminy and today their home is in Sainte-Genevieve, Quebec. Frank's varied and impressive career spans nearly a half-century in Canadian military and civil aviation.



Richard Duncan Hiscocks

Nickname: Dick
Birthdate: June 4, 1914
Birth Place: Toronto, Ontario
Death Date: December 13, 1996
Year Inducted: 1998
Awards: M.B.E., LL.D. (Hon), The McCurdy Award (CASI)

"His dedication and expertise in the area of aircraft design helped to foster a line of Canadian-built aircraft that continue to be highly successful around the world, and his ability to impart knowledge and encouragement to others, is of lasting and significant benefit to Canada." - Induction citation, 1991

Richard Duncan (Dick) Hiscocks, M.B.E., B.Eng., D.Sc., LL.D. (Hon), was born in Toronto, Ontario, on June 4, 1914. He had determined to  pursue an aviation career by the age of ten. While in high school he won first prize for both scale and flying model aircraft at Canadian National Exhibition competitions. His early education was received at Winchester Public School and Jarvis Collegiate in Toronto.

Hiscocks graduated from the University of Toronto's inaugural class in Engineering Physics in 1938. While attending university, he obtained summer employment at de Havilland Aircraft Company of Canada Ltd. (DHC), working on the assembly of the Rapide and the Dragonfly. Following graduation, he was hired by DHC and sent to the de Havilland (U.K.) main design office at Hatfield, England.

In 1940 Hiscocks returned to Canada to accept an offer from the National Research Council (NRC) in Ottawa, Ontario, where he was assigned to the structures laboratory. He led a group that responded to wartime metal shortages, concentrating on wood replacement projects. He had a major role in designing wooden parts for the Harvard that never went into production, and wooden parts for the Anson Mark V that did go into production and saw substantial service.

In 1945, with a group of scientists, he was sent to Germany to examine German technological advances, and returned with insights that would be put to good use in the design of post-war Canadian aircraft. In 1947 he was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (M.B.E.) for his work with the NRC.  

Hiscocks returned to DHC in 1946, and joined Chief Designer Fred Buller on the Beaver project. His main contribution to the Beaver was the design of the wing geometry, including an airfoil curve of his own calculations. He became Chief Engineer at DHC in 1949, and continued working with Buller to develop the Otter, Caribou, Buffalo, and Twin Otter. All of these aircraft utilized the rugged short-field performance associated with the Beaver, which became a distinctive de Havilland Canada feature.

Hiscocks fostered research and development work in aerodynamics, structures, rough field landing gear, and other technologies that helped to establish DHC's place as the world's largest manufacturer of aircraft with short take-off and landing (STOL) capabilities. These aircraft needed the ability to operate safely from rudimentary, short airstrips, and required full international civil airworthiness approvals to enable world wide sales.

In 1968 he rejoined the NRC as Vice-President of Industry, a post he held until 1976. In this position he was charged with assisting Canadian industry, including aerospace, to make the best possible use of the facilities and expertise available at the NRC. At the same time, he was President of Canadian Patents and Development, which was associated with the NRC. In 1976 he rejoined DHC as Vice-President of Engineering, until his retirement in 1979. During that period he was involved with the development of the Dash 7 and Dash 8 aircraft.

During his career, Hiscocks delivered lectures on aeronautical subjects at the University of Toronto and its Institute for Aerospace Studies. Following retirement and a move to Vancouver, British Columbia, he was appointed adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia where he resumed his aeronautical lectures. He applied for and received appointment as a Design Approval Representative for Transport Canada, empowering him to approve various aspects of aircraft design or design changes. He acted as a consultant to several Canadian and American companies.

Between 1990 and 1995 he was involved with Murphy Aircraft Manufacturing Ltd. of Chilliwack, British Columbia, working on aerodynamic design and stress analysis for a high-wing, bush-type aircraft, the Rebel, and a larger, four-seat high-wing aircraft, the Super Rebel, for the homebuilder's market.

In 1954 Hiscocks was the first-ever recipient of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute's McCurdy Award. He was awarded honorary doctorate degrees by McMaster, McGill and Carleton Universities. Hiscocks took an active part in the development of his profession outside the design office as is shown by his years of work with the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute where he was president in 1964-65. He died in Vancouver, British Columbia, on December 13, 1996.

Richard Duncan (Dick) Hiscocks was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1998 at a ceremony held in Montreal, Quebec.

Suggested reading:
“De Havilland; You STOL My Heart Away” - Bert Ellis (1993)

 

Dick Hiscocks published nearly fifty papers on aircraft design, airworthiness, engineering education, and industrial research. In 1995 he published “Design of Light Aircraft”, which is in widespread use by students and engineers across Canada. He contributed two stories, “The Ubiquitous Beaver” and “Whither STOL”, both of which are published in “De Havilland, You STOL My Heart Away.”



Fred Harvey Hitchins

Birthdate: July 10, 1904
Birth Place: London, Ontario
Death Date: November 3, 1972
Year Inducted: 2007
Awards: C.D.**

"His undying devotion to the preservation of military aviation history, encouraging and inspiring future historians, has been of paramount importance in documenting and explaining Canada's aviation heritage" - Induction citation, 2007

Fred Harvey Hitchins, CD.**, B.A., M.A., Ph.D, was born on July 10, 1904 in London, Ontario. He attended the University of Western Ontario, London, earning his BA in 1923 and MA in 1925. He graduated from the U. of Pennsylvania in 1928 with a Ph.D in history. He then joined the faculty of New York University in 1928 where he taught European history. His deep interest in aeronautical history, particularly the Canadian operations of World War I, led him to publish articles on the subject as early as 1931.

Hitchins returned to Canada in 1940 and joined the RCAF. By this time he had a collection of about 350 books, thousands of notes on aviation history and a detailed record of the careers of the 'aces' of all the allied and enemy air forces.

His knowledge was put to use when he was sent to England in October 1941 as the first member of the RCAF's historical section to be attached to the Air Force's overseas headquarters. For two years he worked with the British Air Ministry's Historical Branch in Aberystwyth, Wales, where he monitored RCAF reports and collected information about Canadian fliers of the First World War. He also began to lay the groundwork for the history of the RCAF.

Hitchins returned to Canada in 1943 to continue his work at Air Force Headquarters. The first volume of his RCAF battle history, The RCAF Overseas: The First Four Years, was published in 1944. He was promoted to Wing Commander in 1945, and appointed Air Historian in December, 1945. In the final year of the war, he drafted the text of The RCAF Overseas: The Fifth Year. He had hoped that a 9-volume comprehensive history of the RCAF would be compiled. This massive undertaking would cover pioneering military flights, Canadians in the First World War, the peace-time between wars, and the RCAF wartime operations. Freed at last from military censorship, it could deal with the political and administrative aspects of the force as well as the purely operational.

Unfortunately, the Minister of National Defence, the Hon. Brooke Claxton, had been instructed to reduce postwar defence spending. He decreed that all work on wartime histories cease as of April 1948. Although the Army and Navy branches managed to save their historical sections from disbandment, successive Chiefs of the Air Staff showed no comparable interest. From 1947-1954, the office of Air Historian survived on a virtual shoestring - Hitchins and one clerk/typist. From 1954 until his retirement in I960, he never had more than three persons working with him.

In spite of these handicaps - and the indifference - Hitchins' indomitable spirit kept the candle of historical memory burning as he struggled to preserve RCAF records. The establishment of Roundel as a service magazine in 1948 gave him some outlet for his energies, even as he completed, almost single-handedly. the third volume of the RCAF battle history, The RCAF Overseas: The Sixth Year.

He went on to compose the first history of Canadians in the Battle of Britain, Among the Few, plus a chronology of RCAF history, published in 1949 and followed by two mimeographed supplements that brought the story up to 1959. He drafted histories for use in RCAF schools, from basic training to Staff College. He answered queries about service awards, squadron histories, battle honours, all the while encouraging units to continue submitting semi-annual historical reports, and preserving the mass of wartime records that he never had time or staff to catalogue.

In 1954 the RCAF finally approved the concept of a comprehensive, multi-volume service history, but gave no added resources other than one officer, F/L A. P. Heathcote. With that small amount of help, Hitchins began writing a scholarly history of the inter-war air force which he completed shortly before his retirement in I960. It was subsequently published, not by the RCAF, which remained resolutely uninterested, but by the Canadian War Museum. Hitchins also assisted civilian authors in writing RCAF history. The help he gave to Leslie Roberts, for example, resulted in a book titled There Shall Be Wings, which broke new ground in popularizing stories about the air force.

Hitchins reached retirement age in 1955, but it was suddenly realized that he was not easily replaced. His service was extended repeatedly until I960, when he finally retired and took a teaching position at the University of Western Ontario, London. His successor paid him generous tribute at the time when he wrote: “When W/C Hitchins is formally retired in July, the RCAF will lose an officer who is undoubtedly the foremost authority in Canada on the history of military aviation. It would be regrettable if an effort were not made to preserve in some way a link with this talented man.”

In spite of these efforts to secure his services, at least part time, the former Air Historian never returned to military service. Nevertheless, his influence continued, in advice he gave to aspiring authors and inspiration he provided to the founders of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society. He served as professor of Canadian and European history at his alma mater for ten years, retiring in 1970.

Hitchins pursued many interests, equalling the passion he reserved for history. He spent much time with his family, and his family photo albums show him as an accomplished photographer.

He died in London, Ontario on November 3, 1972. The importance of his work has not diminished: his papers and books were donated by his family to the University of Western Ontario as the Beatrice Hitchins Memorial Collection of Aviation History, available for generations of aviation historians to follow.

Fred Harvey Hitchins was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame at ceremonies held in Ottawa on June 6, 2007 at a ceremony held in Ottawa, Ontario.

Suggested reading:
“Among the Few; a Sketch of the Part Played by Canadian Airmen in the Battle of Britain” - Fred Hitchins (1948)
 

During his career W/C Hitchins amassed a treasure trove of carefully tended documents - some of which were never typed but survive in his beautifully legible handwriting - covering such subjects as military honours and awards, aerial victories and losses, inter-war air force personnel and Canadians who had enlisted directly in the British Royal Air Force.



Basil Deacon Hobbs

Birthdate: December 20, 1894
Birth Place: Arlington, Berksshire, England
Death Date: 1963
Year Inducted: 1987
Awards: D.S.O., O.B.E., D.S.C.*

"This man truly reached for the stars and through his flying achievements and ability in peace and war brought honour to the aviation fraternity of Canada." - Induction citation, 1987

Basil Deacon Hobbs, D.S.O., O.B.E, D.S.C.*, was born in Arlington, Berks, England, on December 20, 1894. His family moved to Canada where he obtained his education and developed a life-long love for flying boats, ships and the sea. In 1915 he took flying training at the Wright Flying School, Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A., and after receiving his wings joined the Royal Naval Air Service as a Flight-Lieutenant. At his posting to Felixstowe, Norfolk, England, he flew the F-3 and H-12 flying boats on anti-submarine patrols.

Hobbs was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (D.S.C.) in 1917 for sinking a German submarine. Later that year, in his four-engine flying boat, he destroyed a German Zeppelin, following which his aircraft was severely damaged by fighters, forcing him to land in the sea. He taxied across the Channel to England where he beached the flying boat. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) for this action. The letter from Their Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty announcing the D.S.O. award also contained a second letter, a reprimand for "taking one of H.M. aircraft away from its allotted training area without permission, and, thereby, causing serious damage to said aircraft." In November of the same year he was awarded a Bar to his D.S.C. for sinking another submarine and was Mentioned in Despatches. Hobbs became the only Canadian on record who was directly involved in the destruction of two U-boats. In 1919 he returned to Canada.

He joined the Canadian Air Force (CAF) in 1920 and was employed by the Canadian Air Board as a 'Certificate Examiner' for civil aircraft and pilot licencing. In October 1920, Hobbs was one of the pilots on the first trans-Canada flight, under the leadership of LCol Robert  Leckie (Hall of Fame 1988). Conducted by eight men with six different aircraft of the CAF, the undertaking began on October 7, 1920, from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Hobbs was in charge of the first leg, from Nova Scotia to Winnipeg, Manitoba. He shared the flying duties with Leckie, who was the first Director of Flying Operations with the Air Board of Canada. Flying boats were used on this section of the trip, and were replaced by single-engined, wheel-equipped, two-seater de Havilland biplanes on the leg from Winnipeg through to Vancouver, British Columbia. Mail was also carried on this cross-country flight. In all, the trip took ten days, with a flying time of 49 hours, covering 3,265 miles (5,250 km).

The following year Hobbs was appointed Superintendent and Commanding Officer of the Winnipeg Air Station where the main responsibilities included forestry work and fire control operations. Prior to World War II, fighting forest fires was an almost hopeless task. Canoe patrols would often miss seeing a blaze only a short distance back from the lakeshore. It was the men of the newly founded Canadian Air Force who soon proved that aircraft were an effective way to spot and fight forest fires. The airplane originally purchased for the job was the Curtiss HS-2L flying boat, followed later by the more powerful Vickers Viking, which was not only useful for spotting fires but also served very effectively as a photographic machine. The camera was mounted on the nose of the flying boat like a machine gun, away from the structure of the airplane itself, and the cameraman had a clear view for miles around at an operating altitude of 5,000 feet (1,500 m).

Hobbs made his greatest contribution to Canadian aviation as a peacetime pilot. In 1924 he was the sole pilot on the crew of a Vickers Viking assigned to carry out the first long-range aerial photographic survey undertaken in Canada. The route, beginning at the southern tip of Lake Winnipeg, was over the northern regions of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The flight was accomplished in one month and covered nearly 3,000 miles (4,800 km). The geodetic trilateral survey of the Canadian Arctic Islands, a project begun in 1924 by Hobbs, was completed in 1957.

In 1924 he became a Squadron Leader in the newly formed Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). A year later he became the Director of Air Operations, Ottawa. Following his resignation from the RCAF in 1927, he established his own business, Basil D. Hobbs and Sons, Wine & Spirit Merchants in Montreal.

At the beginning of World War II, Hobbs was re-commissioned into the RCAF with the rank of Group Captain. His skills and flying ability were put to use in anti-submarine warfare training and operations as Commanding Officer at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and later at Patricia Bay, British Columbia. He was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E., Military). Hobbs died in Montreal, Quebec, in 1963.

Basil Deacon Hobbs was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1987 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

In order to complete the long trans-Canada trip in 1920, pilots and crews had to overcome almost insurmountable difficulties, such as the lack of weather reports, airfields, communication, refuelling stations, and other facilities. Good planning and persistence kept them focused on their goal.



Herbert Hollick-Kenyon

Nickname: Bertie
Birthdate: April 17, 1897
Birth Place: London, England
Death Date: July 30, 1975
Year Inducted: 1974

"The long-range flights he captained during the Antarctic expedition and the Levanevsky search allowed the mapping of hitherto uncharted areas, which contributions have proven of great benefit to the international fraternity of aviators, and of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - induction citation, 1974

Herbert (Bertie) Hollick-Kenyon was born in London, England, on April 17, 1897, moved to British Columbia as a youth and worked locally until 1914 when he joined the Canadian Army as a trooper and was sent overseas. He was wounded at both the Somme and Ypres in France during 1916 and was returned to Canada and medically discharged.

Following his recovery, Hollick-Kenyon joined the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) in Canada in 1917 and attended the School of Aeronautics at the University of Toronto. He enrolled in flight training at the RFC's winter training facility at Fort Worth, Texas, and returned to Camp Borden, Ontario, where he graduated as a commissioned pilot. He was retained there as an instructor for the balance of that year, then was assigned to service in the United Kingdom in 1918 immediately preceding the war's end. He served in England with the Royal Air Force (RAF) until his unit was disbanded, and for the next two years was an officer with the Royal Irish Constabulary.

In 1922 he rejoined the RAF as a flying instructor, and during this tour of duty he helped to pioneer the early British sound detection system which warned against incoming aircraft. He resigned from the RAF and returned to Canada in 1928 and went to work as a pilot with Western Canada Airways Limited.

When the MacAlpine Expedition was marooned in the Canadian Arctic during the fall of 1929, he was one of several pilots who spent weeks on the lengthy and difficult search. A major problem which caused delays was that during the time of freeze-up, it was unsafe to fly with either skis or floats, and this was complicated by the differences between freeze-up times in the south and northern regions. When the MacAlpine party, including pilot Stan McMillan was eventually located at Cambridge Bay, Hollick-Kenyon assisted in flying them from the Arctic Ocean to The Pas, Manitoba.

In 1930, when Western Canada Airways merged with Canadian Airways Limited, Hollick-Kenyon was assigned to the night Prairie Airmail Service on the Winnipeg-Regina route. In 1933 he was assigned to fly the Edmonton-Great Bear Lake route and with Walter Gilbert inaugurated the airmail service to Cameron Bay.

Hollick-Kenyon left Canadian Airways in 1935 to work for explorer Lincoln Ellsworth on his Antarctic expedition. He had been selected to pilot Ellsworth's single-engined Northrop Gamma monoplane across a major area of the continent from Dundee Island to Little America, a flight of some 2,250 miles (3,620 km) over a land never before seen from the air. The actual flying time of the trip was 20 hours, during which they encountered numerous mechanical and weather problems, forcing them to remain on the hostile terrain for two months. The flight called for him to fly the ski-equipped aircraft across 300 miles (480 km) of open water of the Weddell Sea and over 12,000 foot (3,660 m) mountains, with only basic navigational aids and without the benefit of weather science.

In tribute to his outstanding achievement, a major land area on the Antarctic continent was named the Hollick-Kenyon Plateau and the Royal Canadian Air Force named him honorary Air Commodore. On his return from Antarctica he was employed as a pilot with Skylines Express, owned by Jack Moar (Hall of Fame 1974).

In 1937 Hollick-Kenyon became involved in one of aviation's greatest aerial searches, covering the western Arctic from Siberia through Alaska and the Yukon. Australian explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins was asked to head a rescue expedition to locate the Russian pilot, Sigismund Levanevsky and his five companions, missing on a trans-polar flight from Moscow, Russia, to Fairbanks, Alaska. Hollick-Kenyon was selected to pilot Sir Hubert's long-range aircraft during the search, which he flew on dangerous search patterns from Point Barrow, Alaska, to Coppermine, Northwest Territories, and then to within 120 miles (190 km) of the geographic North Pole. He flew almost five months of the eight-month long search during the hours of polar night. Also participating in the search was A.M. 'Archie' McMullen and R.C. 'Bob' Randall.

When Trans-Canada Air Lines was formed in 1937, Hollick-Kenyon was hired as dispatcher in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was transferred to Lethbridge, Alberta, and became Operations Superintendent of the pilots who pioneered the Rocky Mountain Route to Vancouver, British Columbia. As a tribute to complete mastery of his craft, the airport at Lethbridge was named Kenyon Field.

In 1942 he joined Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) and served in flying capacities in Western Canada, Yukon and Northwest Territories, beginning as Superintendent at Whitehorse, Yukon, and rising through Check-Pilot to become the line's first Chief Pilot. He eventually took command of all CPA's pilot training at Vancouver, retiring from the company in 1962. He died in Vancouver on July 30, 1975.

Hollick-Kenyon’s name is associated with ‘Pilot Sound’ a large residential area in northeast Edmonton. On June 8, 1978 the Wardair Boeing 747 “The Herbert Hollick-Kenyon” left Seattle for Edmonton on it’s Inaugural Flight.

Herbert (Bertie) Hollick-Kenyon was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

During his extended career Hollick-Kenyon flew 45 aircraft types as pilot-in-command for 14,000 hours. He became one of only a few airmen to pilot an aircraft across areas adjacent to both the North and South Poles.



Herbert Hopson

Birthdate: December 2, 1909
Birth Place: Blandford, Dorset, England
Death Date: August 25, 1993
Year Inducted: 1989

"His superior technical ability to develop coordinated technology for pilots, the ground facilities for instrument landing systems and airport lighting systems standards, adopted throughout the world, has been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1989

Herbert Hopson was born in Blandford, Dorset, England, on December 2, 1909. His family moved to Calgary in 1912 and in 1929 he commenced flying training at Great Western Airways, operated by Fred McCall and Jock Palmer.

On April 4, 1930, he obtained his Commercial Pilot's Certificate and began instructing as well as barnstorming with an 0X5 Waco. In 1932 he attended an instrument flying course at Camp Borden Military Base, Ontario, and later helped Jock Palmer train Chinese students to fly so they could join the Cantonese forces to help to defend their homeland.

Until 1937 Hopson continued with occasional flying jobs but had to make a living by working in an engine-rebuilding firm. That year he renewed his Instructor's Certificate and received an 'A' rating, rare in Canada at that time. Leigh Brintnell offered him a position with his firm, Mackenzie Air Service, based in Edmonton, Alberta. Hopson spent two years with Mackenzie Air flying Fairchild 71's and 82's and Noorduyn Norseman aircraft.

In March 1939, he joined Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) and within four months was promoted to Captain. In September he was transferred to Toronto flying Lockheed 14's and 18's and helped set up new routes to Moncton, New Brunswick, to London and Windsor, Ontario, and to New York.

Hopson was promoted to Check Pilot in 1943 and to Chief Pilot a year later. In 1945 he introduced the Douglas DC-3 to TCA service. From 1946 to 1952, he was on loan, part-time, to the Department of Transport (DOT) to assist in the implementation of the Instrument Landing System (ILS). TCA provided a DC-3 and a radio engineer to assist the DOT technicians. They covered all major airports to be commissioned with ILS, from Victoria, British Columbia, to St. John's, Newfoundland. With this experience, Hopson became a member of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Flight Technical Committee to define requirements for instrument landing systems. The standards they set became the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) International Standard.

With the adoption of ILS it became imperative that High Intensity Lighting be developed. As a member of IATA and Technical Advisor to ICAO, Hopson helped to establish International Standards for High Intensity Approach, Threshold, and Runway Lighting Systems. This was followed by work to develop the In-Runway Lighting Systems used with Category 2-ILS and Category 3-ILS.

From 1947 to his retirement in 1969, Hopson filled the position of Technical Assistant, Test Pilot and, eventually, Director of Flight Operations, Technical Development for TCA/Air Canada. He was responsible for the coordination of company recommendations to the government regarding construction of runways, aprons, lighting and navigation aids. He assisted in selection of new aircraft, flight deck layouts, etc., during the era of the Lockheed Super Constellation, Vickers Viscount and Vanguard, Douglas DC-8 and DC-9, Boeing 747 and Lockheed 1011. During this time, he was responsible for all of Air Canada's Route and Airplane Operating Manuals and Route Operating Certificates. He flew TCA's first Viscount on cold weather trials at Churchill, Manitoba, and also flew the first Vickers Vanguard.

With the proposed introduction of supersonic aircraft, Hopson became a member of the IATA Supersonic Operations Requirements Committee. In the final development stages within ICAO, he was accredited to the Canadian delegation and given freedom to act on behalf of Canada in final decision making.

After retirement from Air Canada at the end of 1969, he spent several years consulting for an air planning services firm working on Short Take-Off and Landing/Vertical Take-Off and Landing (STOL/VTOL) with Jack Dyment, and for a manufacturing firm developing area navigation systems, fibre optic instrumentation, weight and balance systems, etc. Hopson died on August 25, 1993.

Herbert Hopson was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1989 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

In 1947 Herbert Hopson became one of TCA’s ‘Million Milers’, pilots who have flown over one million miles (1.6 million km) at the controls of a company aircraft. This adds up to some interesting figures: it’s roughly equal to 40 time around the equator, of more than 6,000 hours in the air.



David Ernest Hornell

Birthdate: January 26, 1910
Birth Place: Lucknow, Ontario
Death Date: June 25, 1944
Year Inducted: 1973
Awards: VC

"His winning of the Victoria Cross in aerial combat must be regarded as one of the most outstanding contributions possible to the military aspect of Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1974

David Ernest Hornell, VC, was born in Lucknow, Ontario, on January 26, 1910, and educated in Toronto. He worked for the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company from 1927 to 1940. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force on January 8, 1941, was commissioned to serve as a pilot and was posted to No. 162 Squadron at Reykjavik, Iceland, on January 2, 1944.

On June 24, 1944, Flight Lieutenant Hornell was captain of a Canso flying boat on anti-submarine patrol operations from Iceland. A German U-boat was sighted in waters north of the Shetland Islands, fully-surfaced and travelling at high speed. At once Hornell turned to attack. The U-boat's Captain decided to fight on the surface, and opened up with fierce and accurate anti-aircraft fire. The Canso was hit hard. Big holes were torn in the wing and the fuselage, and the starboard engine caught fire.

Ignoring the enemy fire, Hornell carefully maneuvered for the attack. Oil poured from the starboard engine which was on fire, as was the starboard wing, endangering the fuel tanks. Meanwhile the aircraft, hit again and again by enemy fire, was vibrating and difficult to control. Despite his precarious position, Hornell brought his aircraft in low to the target and released depth charges in a perfect pattern. The bow of the U-boat rose out of the water, toppling some of its crew overboard before plunging beneath the surface.

Hornell contrived, by superhuman effort at the controls, to gain a little height. The fire in the starboard wing had grown more intense and the vibration had increased. Then the burning engine fell off. The plight of the crew was now desperate. With the utmost coolness Hornell took his aircraft into the wind and despite the manifold dangers, brought it safely down on the heavy swells. Badly damaged and blazing furiously, the aircraft settled rapidly.

After ordeal by fire came ordeal by water. With only one serviceable dinghy, the crew of eight took turns going into the icy water, holding onto the sides. Once, the dinghy capsized in the rough seas and was righted again only with great difficulty. An airborne lifeboat was dropped to them from a search aircraft, but it fell some 500 yards (460 m) down wind. The men struggled vainly to reach it and Hornell, who throughout had encouraged them by his inspiring courage and leadership, proposed to swim to it, although he was nearly exhausted. He was restrained with great difficulty. After 21 hours in the sea, during which time both flight engineers died from exposure, they were picked up by a rescue launch. Hornell, blinded and completely exhausted, died shortly after being rescued.

Hornell had completed 60 operational missions involving 600 hours of flying time; he well knew the dangers and difficulties attending attacks on submarines. By pressing home a skillful and successful attack against fierce opposition, with his aircraft in a precarious condition, and by fortifying and encouraging his comrades in the subsequent ordeal, this officer displayed valour and devotion to duty of the highest order.

For this display of "valour and devotion to duty of the highest order", Flight Lieutenant David Hornell was awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) - the first such award to a Canadian airman in the Second World War - for service with the squadron on June 24, 1944. He died at age 34 that day and was buried in the Shetland Islands.

David Ernest Hornell was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

Suggested reading:
“Victoria Cross Battles of the Second World War” - Lucas Phillips (1973)
 

David Hornell joined the RCAF in January 1940. He was 30 years old, and had he delayed joining for three weeks, he would have been too old for air crew under the regulations then in existence.



Frederick William Hotson

Nickname: Fred
Birthdate: December 29, 1913
Birth Place: Toronto, Ontario
Death Date: July 19, 2012
Year Inducted: 1998
Awards: Aircraft Owners and Pilot’s Award (COPA), The 99’s Award. The Citation of Merit (Aviation Writers Association), FCASI CBAA Award of Merit

"His lifetime in aviation has been highlighted by his contribution to corporate aviation and the 70-year history of de Havilland in Canada. His ability to relate his extensive career to the writing and preservation of the country's aviation history has been of lasting value to Canada." - Induction citation, 1998

Frederick William (Fred) Hotson was born in Toronto, Ontario, on December 29, 1913. He received his early education at Fergus, Ontario.  In 1934 he entered the aircraft engineering course at the Central Technical School in Toronto.

Hotson was chosen from the graduating class of 1935 for a position with the de Havilland Aircraft Company of Canada Ltd. (DHC). He gained valuable experience in all departments at the time, particularly during the introduction of the Canadian Tiger Moth.

He obtained his Pilot's Licence from the Toronto Flying Club in 1938 and during the same year, test flew his home-built Heath Parasol sport plane. He completed the Department of Transport's Engineer's Licence, A and C, in 1939. He stored the Parasol and continued as foreman of DHC aerodrome service during the first nine months of the war.

In 1941 Hotson left DHC to join the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) as instructor at No. 1 Air Observers School, Toronto, and pilot-instructor and operations manager at No. 9 AOS, St. Jean, Quebec. He served as duty pilot, chief instructor and assistant operations manager as the school grew under Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA). In 1944 CPA was asked to assist the Royal Air Force Transport Command (RAFTC) in delivering aircraft to Britain. A ferry flight department was quickly put together by CPA with captains from the western lines and first officers from the AOS schools. Hotson was chosen to join the group in March 1944, and completed a total of twenty Atlantic flights to Europe and Africa. He spent the last six months of the war in service with No.  231 Communications Squadron, RAFTC.

At war's end Hotson obtained his Public Transport Licence and Instrument Rating. He made several aircraft deliveries to South America in the employ of Aircraft Industries Ltd. He flew a Fairchild Husky as a bush pilot in northern Ontario and Quebec until 1948. At that time he became personal pilot for Major A. P. Holt, flying a Grumman Mallard. He then moved with the same aircraft to become Chief Pilot for the Ontario Paper Company. He continued in that capacity for 18 years and added a DC-3 to the company fleet in 1955. In 1958 he was a founding Director of the Canadian Business Aircraft Association (CBAA) and served as its President in 1964.

In 1966 he was granted a leave of absence to conduct a two month study in Afghanistan for the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) on the technical and economic use of short take-off and landing (STOL) aircraft in the remote areas of that country. After studying its history, geography, economics, and culture, Hotson realized the challenge of introducing any modern airplane into a country of such rugged and inhospitable terrain. There were very few landing strips, navigation aids or weather stations. There were few locally trained pilots, mechanics or other specialists needed to run an airline. Nor were there hotels, taxis or fuel in the back country.

He travelled extensively within Afghanistan and, on completion of his report, rejoined DHC in 1967 in the flight test department, primarily as a Twin Otter flight instructor. He returned to Afghanistan with their first aircraft and instructed pilots on how to fly it. Similar flight instructor assignments were carried out in Norway, the United States and Canada. He joined DHC's product support department in 1969, and acted as Sales Engineer until his retirement in 1978, with a total of 13,000 flying hours on 25 types of aircraft.

Hotson has had a continuing interest in preserving Canada's aviation history. In 1969 he became President of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society (CAHS), an office he held for 15 years. In 1977 he received the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Award from the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA, Belt of Orion 1993) for the promotion of Canadian aviation history. Hotson has written over 25 meticulously researched history-related articles for the CAHS Journal and publications in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. During 1983 he edited and published a 325-page CAHS chronology, 125 Years of Canadian Aviation, earning him the 1986 Ninety-Nines' Canadian Award in Aviation.

On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of DHC, Hotson wrote a 65-page book on the history of that company in 1983, The de Havilland Canada Story. This book received the Aviation Writer's Association Citation of Merit. In 1988 he completed a long-standing personal research project, the story of the first east to west air crossing of the Atlantic. The crew of two Germans and an Irishman, flying from Ireland to New York, were far north of their intended course and were forced to land during a snowstorm on Greenly Island off the southern tip of Labrador, Newfoundland. Hotson's book about this adventure, The Bremen, earned him the AWA non-fiction award for that year.

In 1980 he was made an Associate Fellow of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute (CASI) and four years later, raised to Fellow. He took an active role in the formation of the National Aviation Museum Society with the objective of providing fireproof accommodation for the national aviation collection at Rockcliffe Airport, Ottawa. The Society remains active as an advisory group.

In 1985 Hotson retired as the President of CAHS and was made Chairman. Returning to his CBAA interests in 1991, Hotson wrote and published Business Wings, a 30-year history of the Association and received the CBAA Award of Merit in 1994. In 2005 he co-authored a new book with Matthew Rodina, Jr. titled “Grumman Mallard: the Enduring Classic”. Fred Hotson died July 20th 2012 at Toronto, Ontario.

Frederick William (Fred) Hotson was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1998 at a ceremony held in Toronto, Ontario.

Recommended reading:
“The Bremen” - Fred W. Hotson (1988)

Hotson’s interest in history, and his careful documentation and writing style have left a legacy and treasure of written words about Canada’s aviation heritage.



Clarence Decatur Howe

Nickname: C.D.
Birthdate: January 15, 1886
Birth Place: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Death Date: December 31, 1960
Year Inducted: 1976
Awards: D.Sc. (Hon), LL.D. (Hon), Medal of Merit (USA), The Award of Merit (AICI), The Hoover Medal (USA), The Daniel Guggenheim Medal (USA), RCFCA Gold Medal.

"The unselfish application of his engineering skills and qualities of leadership and determination as a servant of the Nation, and more especially his successful efforts to give birth to a national airline and create a viable aircraft industry, have been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1976

Clarence Decatur Howe, P.C., B.Sc., D.Sc.(Hon), LL.D.(Hon), was born in Waltham, Massachusetts, U.S.A., on January 15, 1886. He graduated with a B.Sc. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1907 and remained on the faculty as an Assistant Professor of Engineering. The following year he came to Canada and served as Professor of Civil Engineering at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, from 1908 to 1913. He became a Canadian citizen in 1913.

In 1916 he formed C.D. Howe and Company, consulting engineers, at Port Arthur, Ontario. This firm designed grain terminals, wharves, factories and other works in Canada, the United States and later, in Argentina. During that period he also designed the Howe Car Dumper to replace the unloading of grain from railway cars by hand. Howe became Chief Engineer for the Board of Grain Commissioners of Canada and in that capacity designed most of the government's largest grain elevators.

In 1935 Howe was elected to the House of Commons representing the constituency of Port Arthur and was immediately named to Prime Minister Mackenzie King's cabinet, being appointed Minister of Railways and Canals, and Minister of Marine. He united both departments into one Department of Transport in 1936, reorganized the administration of Canadian National Railways, and established the National Harbours Board. He fashioned the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation from the former Canadian Radio Commission.

In 1937 Howe established Canada's first transcontinental airways system, Trans-Canada Airlines. On July 30th, he was one of the government officials who were passengers on the first pre-inaugural inspection flight of Trans-Canada's Airlines' routes, checking airport sites selected by J.H. Tudhope and Bob Dodds. This was known as the 'Dawn to Dusk' flight on a Lockheed 12A piloted by Tudhope. The flight took 14 hours of actual flying time and followed the route from Montreal to Vancouver, British Columbia, a distance of some 2,550 miles (4,103 km). The purpose of this flight was to show that the airway was a practicable proposition, and could be developed in the near future.

At the outbreak of World War II, Howe was made responsible for the War Supply Board, which was subsequently replaced by the Department of Munitions and Supply, which he headed with the title of Minister.

The chain of airports that Howe had established across Canada to support the services of TCA proved invaluable to the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP), which, beginning in 1940, helped train many thousands of Allied air crew for World War II. During the wartime period he also undertook the construction of Dorval International Airport at Montreal, and established the Canadian Government Trans-Atlantic Air Service (CGTAS).

During the war, the production of aircraft increased from 250 a year to 4,000. At war's end, government-owned companies were turned over to private enterprise to ensure the viability of the Canadian aircraft industry. After the war Howe assumed the title of Minister of Reconstruction and led Canada's wartime industry into a prosperous peacetime era. In 1948 he was named Minister of Trade and Commerce, followed by appointment as Minister of Defence Production in 1951. He served the governments of Mackenzie King and Louis St. Laurent continuously from 1935 to 1957.

Howe's numerous honours include appointment to the Imperial Privy Council (P.C.) in 1946, the Medal of Merit awarded by the American government in 1947, the Award of Merit of the American Institute of Consulting Engineers (AICI), the Hoover Medal, the Daniel Guggenheim Medal for contributions to aviation progress. In 1960 he was awarded the gold medal of the Royal Canadian Flying Clubs Association for meritorious service to the flying club movement. From 1957 until his death, Howe was Chancellor of Dalhousie University. He died in Montreal, Quebec, on December 31, 1960.

Clarence Decatur Howe was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1976 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

During more than two decades in government, C.D. Howe served in many Cabinet posts, often concurrently, earning him the nickname ‘Minister of Everything’. He was considered to be one of the most powerful people in the government at that time.



Albert Edward Hutt

Birthdate: January 30, 1901
Birth Place: Halton, Ontario
Death Date: April 27, 1990
Year Inducted: 1992

"A pioneer in the field of aircraft maintenance and engineering at a time when there was only his knowledge and integrity for guidance, his lifetime of excellence provided an example for all who followed, thus benefitting Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1992

Albert Edward Hutt was born January 30, 1901, in Halton, Ontario, and in 1917, at the age of 16, he joined the Royal Flying Corps in Canada as an engine mechanic. As heated hangars and instructional facilities were lacking, the squadron was transferred to Texas for initial training. When the war ended in 1918, a number of the early airmen were absorbed into a Canadian Government body called the Canadian Air Board, which in 1920 administered three sections: Civil Aviation, Flying Operations, and the Canadian Air Force (CAF).

In the early 1920's the CAF was carrying out aerial surveying and mapping of the Rocky Mountain areas west of Calgary, Alberta. Hutt was one of the survey camera operators on these flights. While serving as an engine mechanic on their Rolls-Royce powered de Havilland DH-4 aircraft, he designed and built one of the earliest engine test stands.

The Ontario Provincial Air Service was formed in 1924, and Hutt joined them as a mechanic/aerial photographer, doing aerial survey work and fire patrols with Leigh Brintnell and T.W. Tommy Siers. In Curtiss HS-2L flying boats, they carried out survey flights over unmapped territory as far afield as Hudson Bay.

In 1928 Hutt was hired by James A. Richardson for his company, Western Canada Airways. He worked as manager of the company's Brandon Avenue Shops at Winnipeg, under Tommy Siers, who was the Superintendent of Maintenance. Hutt was responsible for the repair and overhaul of a fleet of 45 aircraft comprised of 14 different types that used 9 different makes or models of engines. His solutions to complex problems became legendary. When the Junkers JU-52 Flying Boxcar was introduced into Canadian bush flying, an engine vibration problem rendered it virtually unusable until he diagnosed and corrected the problem.

In 1939 Hutt and Rex Terpening started work on the development and installation of the first oil dilution system on one of the Canadian Airlines Ltd. Junkers aircraft, to make it more adaptable to the cold weather in Canada. This was considered the most  significant engineering development of its day in Canada. They provided valuable assistance to Siers in refining and finalizing the system to the operational stage.

During WW II, when several smaller aircraft-operating companies were amalgamated to form Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA), Hutt was transferred to New Westminster, British Columbia, to become manager of the repair plant there. Under his direction, the company's overhaul shops became the most highly rated aircraft maintenance organization in Canada.

At war's end Hutt was transferred to Edmonton as Regional Maintenance Manager. He applied his expertise to the only equipment available  - ex-military aircraft. When CPA established their headquarters in Vancouver, British Columbia, Hutt was appointed Director, Maintenance Engineering, and placed in charge of the shops and overhaul facilities. He held this position until his retirement in 1966. Hutt died at Langley, British Columbia, on April 27, 1990.

Albert Edward Hutt was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1992 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.

 

Albert Hutt’s career (1928-1966) with Western Canada Airways, Canadian Airlines Ltd and CPA spanned the transition from the floats and skis of the early years to smoothly-run airline operation. His expertise was such that he, too, made a smooth transition in maintaining the airlines’ aircraft, from the piston-driven era to the jet age.